BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom Object Location

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have numerous custom objects, but I made the mistake of saving them in a "Custom Objects" folder that I made in my AC13 Library. It has been brought to my attention that they should have gone into the embedded library instead. I am going to switch over to AC14 at the end of this week, and I have a suspicion that the custom objects won't follow me.

My question is this. Where is the embedded library hidden? I do not see it in the AC13 library folder, and I want to move my objects from my Custom Folder into the embedded library.

I'm sure this is one of those things where I will slap my forehead and say DOH!, but it seems to be eluding me at this time.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
I believe that there's an option to save the embedded library parts to a folder of your choosing. I think this option cannbe found in the library manager. Once you have them save to youn hard disk you'll be able to load them into any future project.
Barry Kelly
If you have a "Custom" library folder then just load that library along with any others as you have been doing.
They call it linking a library now.

If you embed library objects then they are available only to that particular job (the embedded library is contained within the PLN file) and if you make changes to your customobjects they will only change in that particular job (or template if you have one set up).
Should you want to use these embedded custom objects in another file then you have to extract them to an external folder and load that in the other files.

So keep the custom parts in a separate folder and load it as a separate library.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the answer, but just to verify:
In AC14, the program no longer uses migration libraries, but links to previous libraries. In this case, it will find my custom objects folder located in Applications > Graphisoft > ArchiCAD 13 > Libraries > Custom 3D Objects. Or are you saying that I should put my folder into a seperate location on my hard drive ( ie.: Macintosh HD > Library > Custom 3D Objects)?

Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
A seperate folder. I keep an additional library that I've added to over the years in addition to the standard library. I also keep a folder specifically for each job with objects that are only needed there.

I ran into trouble when hotlinking files for a specific job while using embedded libraries. When I altered the custom part stored in the library it would not reflect the changes in the other hot linked files. As a result, I just kept with my old system of storing all custom parts in a job specific folder.
Learn and get certified!