BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Layer Unlocking

Brett Brown
Advocate
Coming from AC 20 to 24 the most annoying thing that seems to have changed is when I select something that is locked, I have a shortcut key to unlock it and doing that deselects it, so I have to select it again to carry on. Same in AC 23. In 20 it stays selected and the selection nodes change from grey to black, still selected, and I carry on what I was doing.
Hopefully its a setting? but why would it be a setting? It's enough to send me back to 20.
Surely someone else has noticed this?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly
I assume you are talking about unlocking and element and not a layer?

I just set up a shortcut for 'Unlock' and it works as you want, element remains selected.
I also checked unlocking a layer with a shortcut and that also worked fine.

Does the same happen if you use the unlock button in a toolbar?

However there are differences between us that I can not check that may be the cause.
You are Mac, I am Windows.
You are Solo, I am Full version.
You are NZ, I am AUS.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Brett Brown
Advocate
Should have explained better, my shortcut from the 20 WE, and now the 24 WE, is the shortcut for the quick layer "unlock Layer" which now unselects in the process. The right-click "unlock layer" keeps it selected.
Just tested on Windows as well. Same difference, one keeps selected, the other dosen't.
There must be a reason for the difference? I can fix it by reasigning my shortcut to the Right-click one.
Seems to defeat the purpose of "Quick Layers Pallet" if this happens. I'm probably missing something but it now dosen't work the same as in 20.
Brett Brown
Advocate
Further information, Only happens in Sections and Elevations. In Floor plans, both unlock without deselecting.
Barry Kelly
Brett wrote:
Further information, Only happens in Sections and Elevations. In Floor plans, both unlock without deselecting.

Ah, I was testing in the plan.

I can confirm that it is different in 23.
Using the quick layers palette or the shortcut to lock or unlock layer of selected element in sections/elevations does deselect the elements.
But as you say the right click > Layers > unlock keeps them selected.

I have no idea why there would be a difference except that the quick layer palette and the right click must be 2 separate commands that do the same thing.
You can set the shortcut for the quick layer command, but not for the right mouse click.
The WE shortcut clearly states that the shortcut is for the quick layers command.

But that still doesn't explain why it is different from version 20.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Brett Brown
Advocate
There's 2 unlocks in WE, one is Unlock = "Makes the selected items editable". The other is Unlock Selections (Quick Layers) = "unlock selections" sounds the same to me. Hopefully, Minh will chime in.
Barry Kelly
Brett wrote:
There's 2 unlocks in WE, one is Unlock = "Makes the selected items editable". The other is Unlock Selections (Quick Layers) = "unlock selections" sounds the same to me. Hopefully, Minh will chime in.

One is to unlock elements themselves (you can lock a single element without locking the entire layer) and the other is for unlocking the layer of selected elements.
But this seems to be a different command to the right mouse click > Layers > Unlock command.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Brett,

Thank you very much for reporting the issue and I am very sorry about the experience!

Thanks to the detailed description, I was able to reproduce the issue. This is definitely a rare one, as we can start seeing it in AC22 (AC21 is still correct), but we haven’t got any reports about it so far. Most likely it is a bug. I will ask our colleagues to investigate it further. As soon as we conclude our investigation, I will let you know!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello again,

Our colleague looked into the problem, and we agreed that this is definitely a bug. We entered it as defect DEF-2192 in our system. Hopefully a fix for this will not be too difficult to implement.

Thank you once again for your report!
Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Well surprise surprise, I don't think this was ever fixed?

Learn and get certified!