Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Marking Simple Slab as Finish

Emre Senoglu
Expert
heya - I'm wondering if there is a way to set a simple slab (as in, non composite) as a finish. I can't model the slab as a composite slab because the structural part of the slab is vaulted. If not, I think this would be very useful addition especially when dealing with renovation filters (which I am in this project ).

AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Nothing special is needed here... just create a 1-skin composite for your finish slab and mark the skin as a 'finish'.

The result is a 'simple' slab that is a 'finish' and will disappear when finishes are not shown.

I think it is best that these tag options for 'finish', 'core', 'other' remain associated with composites and that the basic (non-composite) slab be left as simple as possible for a simpler learning progression.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Emre Senoglu
Expert
Hey Karl, thanks - that is indeed one workaround. Bit annoying that i have to create single layer composites for multiple walls/floors though don't you think? Having core/finish tags in complex profiles is very useful, and I don't see why not this system should involve more items, say simple slabs and perhaps even certain (or all) library parts: think of gutters, wall extras, etc.
AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

Karl Ottenstein
I see your point about consistency - with all having those options. But, I don't think it is really so much work to create a new composite for a single skin. A few more clicks for sure. An important advantage of composites, vs simple slabs, walls etc, is that it provides a level of abstraction or indirection. With a meaningfully named composite, if something arises and you wish to change the construction of that slab (and any others using it) - you just redefine the composite. Done. Globally with one step.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB