BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Off center reference line?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm new to ArchiCAD but trying to setup some office standards. I put together a composite wall but had some questions about it.

First question: I am wondering if there is a way to set the location of the reference line. I would like to be able to center it to the structure of the wall (2x6 stud = 5 1/2") instead of the center of the total composite (7/8 plaster w/ 1/2 plywood outside and 5/8 gyp. inside = total 7 1/2").

Second question: How do I change display of detail in a wall? I would like to be able to show hatch detail at 1 1/2" scale, just face of wall (7 1/2") at 1/4" scale, and the ability to just show stud face (5 1/2"). Can all this be done easily?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
TomWaltz
Participant
johnsonarch wrote:
I'm new to ArchiCAD but trying to setup some office standards. I put together a composite wall but had some questions about it.

First question: I am wondering if there is a way to set the location of the reference line. I would like to be able to center it to the structure of the wall (2x6 stud = 5 1/2") instead of the center of the total composite (7/8 plaster w/ 1/2 plywood outside and 5/8 gyp. inside = total 7 1/2").
These settings are in the Wall Settings dialog and the Wall Info Box. The walls can be center, left, right or offet justified.

In this case, you would have to do the math yourself to determine how far in the reference line is offset from the face of the wall. There is no automated "Center on Core" (though it would be nice)
Second question: How do I change display of detail in a wall? I would like to be able to show hatch detail at 1 1/2" scale, just face of wall (7 1/2") at 1/4" scale, and the ability to just show stud face (5 1/2"). Can all this be done easily?
Walls are not scale sensitive by themselves. You can turn the hatches inside them on and off using the Display Options to control the Cut Fills, but the skins of the walls will always be on.

There are some workarounds involving using different pen settings for each scale and making skins a 0-thickness white line at some scales, but that's a pain and can lead to display-order problems (a 0-thickness white line can still cause white-outs and weird overlapping problems when you print).

Being able to display "core only" has been a long-standing wish list item.

You may want to consider picking up the "Project Framework" book, which will help describe a lot of the production/standards/usage issues for Archicad.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Tom. I'll read through that Project Framework book.
Karl Ottenstein
TomWaltz wrote:
In this case, you would have to do the math yourself to determine how far in the reference line is offset from the face of the wall. There is no automated "Center on Core" (though it would be nice).
I agree with Tom that it would be nice to have a variety of 'core' relationship options enforced and available from the wall tool itself (has been wished for over the years).

But, there is a workaround to avoid the math.

Tip/trick of the day in three posts, for 3 attachments...

First, note that the order of skin creation for a composite matters. For outside-edge reference lines, the top skin corresponds to the reference line. (This also defines what is 'inner' and 'outer' for the core in the next step.)
composite-def.gif
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Second screenshot, and really the first step.

Draw one piece of wall (that you will delete - so draw it anywhere), select it, and bring up the Modify Wall / Reference Line dialog (Edit menu). Notice the right half of the dialog lets you modify the offset.

Here, I'm choosing the inner side of the core because I want my reference line to align with framing below. But, I might have chosen center of core. [In reality, I would have just used a small offset for my brick ledge, but hey, this is an example.]

ArchiCAD does the math...
ref-line-inner.gif
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Final screenshot.

This shows the result. Notice the offset has been computed by ArchiCAD - you can read it in the offset field of the Info Box (which I moved higher than the default position via the Work Environment).

Now, alt-click this wall to set THESE values (with the offset) as the defaults for the wall tool. Delete the fake wall, and now start making walls with the proper reference line.

Yeah, seems like a bit of work. But, if you have a bunch of weird skins with 5/8 + 3/16 + etc to offset, it is easier than doing the math and screwing up... 😉

Downside: this is NOT dynamic. If you redefine the composite, the reference line will no longer necessarily be at the edge/center of the core (or whatever you chose. This is a static offset, and so must be adjusted with a composite redefinition. (THAT is why I have wished for years for dynamic association of reference lines to skins...)

Cheers,
Karl
ref-line-result.gif
TomWaltz
Participant
Just when I thought I had a good idea Karl goes and harshes my mellow..... 😉
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help but it brings up another question:

How do I load the Modify Walls menu?

I see that it is an addon that ArchiCAD help says I should be able to see "by applying the Expert scheme in the Scheme Options dialog box (Command Layout Schemes)." Only problem is my options are only Standard 9, US Basic, and US Standard.

Help says I "can add it to the Edit menu (or any other menu) by customizing the menu scheme in Options > Work Environment > Command Layout Schemes > Menus" but I can't seem to find it there either.

Sorry for the dumb question.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scratch that. I got it and it works just like you show.

Thanks!

Do either of you build or know of companies/individuals who build manufacturer specific parametric gdl objects. I'm thinking of full product lines in one model. Any thoughts?
TomWaltz
Participant
johnsonarch wrote:
Do either of you build or know of companies/individuals who build manufacturer specific parametric gdl objects. I'm thinking of full product lines in one model. Any thoughts?
Yes, I'll contact you off-forum via Private Message.
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!