Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Perpendicular Guideline

stevini
Booster

Hello folks,

Is there a way to have a guideline perpendicular to an element instead of parallel? (I use Archicad 25)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

If you have snap guides turned on they should provide you with a perpendicular guide from where you clicked on the first element...

Snap Guides 

If you want a more permanent solution draw a line or Create Guide Line Segment 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

View solution in original post

Solution

Thank  you so much for the solution. I was dragging the handle to draw an infinite guideline, while instead I can make a perpendicular one creating a segment. Excellent!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hello,

1 - Define oriented grid then use the oriented grid

Capture d’écran 2021-09-07 à 09.50.46.png
2 - Orient the design environment and use the orthogonal grid

Capture-d-e-cran-2021-09-07-a-09-50-40

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

I still do not manage. Rotating the grid I can place a wall along the grid, however I need to use the guideline first to place the wall in the exact position. Rotating the grid, the guidelines are still horizontal and vertical. They do not follow the grid. What am I missing?

runxel
Legend

The orange, persistent guidelines can even be round!

And of course in any angle you desire.

Do the following steps:

Drag the guideline onto the element, e.g. a wall. The guide will then snap into the correct angle. Then hover over the guideline and an orange orb will appear. This is its handle and you can then drag the guidline away from the element to the desired location.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

If you have snap guides turned on they should provide you with a perpendicular guide from where you clicked on the first element...

Snap Guides 

If you want a more permanent solution draw a line or Create Guide Line Segment 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

In this case the guideline will remain parallel to the element I dragged it on. I need instead a guideline perpendicular to the wall.

Solution

Thank  you so much for the solution. I was dragging the handle to draw an infinite guideline, while instead I can make a perpendicular one creating a segment. Excellent!

Yikes. My bad. Somehow misread that.

Thats harder than I thought since the relative construction methods are somehow not available when making guidelines.

Anyway, a workaround would be to just use normal lines at first (since you can use the relative methods on them), and then use the orange guidelines, if you want them to persist.

If you just need them temporarily I'd go with the blue snap guides instead.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Miha_M
Advisor

As usual there are different ways to handle your workflow. The guidelines do work, in parallel and perpendicular, but they take a short time before they appear. I use a one key shortcut for some constraints, mainly the parallel and the perpendicular one. This way I don't have to hover over an element and wait for the guideline to appear before I start drawing. Search for "constraint" in the keyboard shortcuts menu and set up the shortcuts you need. You'll probably have to override some default settings so be careful and choose some shortcuts you won't need or don't use. It does save some time.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11