Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Railing floor plan display problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Stairs have always posed problems for me, last time Barry helped me figure out how to get the railing to show correctly in 3D on a L shaped stair with winders. Now I'm having problems getting the railing to display correctly in 2D. A minor problem, I could come up with something to work around it ( like hiding the railing in 2D altogether and drawing the railing outlines manually), but having something that updates automatically is much better.

It's a simple two story L stair with landing. The railing is supposed to follow the stair up to the 2nd floor and wrap around the opening, but after playing with the settings for half an hour I just can't make things right.

Here's what I've tried already:
  • Updating to the latest software and library build
  • Using associated stair display settings, changing layout settings ( Break mark visible not visible and all the other options ) for above relevant story middle bottom etc.
  • Changing break line settings
It seems that the railing acts in the correct manner when it's only associated with the stair, but once you continue the railing onto the second floor slab, everything becomes buggy. Either the top floor is displayed incorrectly or the bottom floor is messed up.

Anyways, I feel that ArchiCAD is getting better and better, the new ArchiCAD 22 flyers look awesome... expect that when you use it things don't always turn out they way you see them in those marketing render videos. The software is becoming more complex, harder to grasp and navigate, so many dialogs and menus and options... On the bright side the introduction of logic is a great concept, I can definitely see many applications for it.
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
It could be because you are using 21.
I found a few issues with stairs and rails in 21 so I never used it and went straight to 22.

I just tried in 22 and if the rail is associated to the stair and upper slab, and the rail is set to use the stairs display settings, the break mark matches the stair.

This image shows the upper floor with the ground floor as a trace.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply, you're probably right about it being a bug in ArchiCAD 21. For now I'll find a workaround to it (hiding the railing in 2D and drawing it using poly lines manually) for now as upgrading to ArchiCAD 22 is a stretch since I'd have to renew my education license when I happen to be on the last project for my course.

Though I suppose I'll download the trial version of ArchiCAD 22 and try it out when I get the chance, the new features look very tempting. Through using this program over the past few years I've gained a solid understanding of CAD, if I were to pursue the path of becoming an architect I'm pretty sure this is what I'll use.