Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Save as txt from Attributes Manager

MetalFingerz
Advocate

Hello,

I was wondering what was the use of this Save as txt function in the Attributes Manager ?

The exported .txt file is quite clear and easily modifiable in Excel and for pens or surfaces for example, I can even see the RGB values which is pretty nice. But it seems that it only goes one way as there is no possibility to import that .txt file which would have been pretty handy.

Is this just for checking/exchange purposes ?

edit : question is about AC 24

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
scottjm
Expert

You are correct.  The TXT export is primarily for QA'ing your attributes.

If you want to do bulk edits to attributes in excel you have to export it to an XML file do some vodoo magic to get it into an excel format, make edits and then vodoo it back to the attribute xml format.  There is no proper workflow for this.

There was an Italian guys playing around with this.  Check out this article:
https://blog.archicad.it/learn/analisi-degli-attributi-e-della-loro-gestione-tramite-il-formato-xml

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Solution
scottjm
Expert

You are correct.  The TXT export is primarily for QA'ing your attributes.

If you want to do bulk edits to attributes in excel you have to export it to an XML file do some vodoo magic to get it into an excel format, make edits and then vodoo it back to the attribute xml format.  There is no proper workflow for this.

There was an Italian guys playing around with this.  Check out this article:
https://blog.archicad.it/learn/analisi-degli-attributi-e-della-loro-gestione-tramite-il-formato-xml

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

Thanks for the link, I'll have a read.