BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Steel Beams

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone tell be have to set the end cutting planes for an inclined beam in R8.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
you can't in 8.0

however you could use the roofmaker rafter object, and change its shape into an "I" profile...
Djordje
Ace
Tom wrote:
Can anyone tell be have to set the end cutting planes for an inclined beam in R8.
None except adding the cutplanes in the 3D Script; and for that, better hop over to GDL Talk, you will get 15 answers immediately.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I ran into this a couple months ago for a local client.

One not only has to introduce the cutplanes, which would be easy, but first extend the beam beyond the footprint to accomodate material to be cut. Then you have to be careful with the material list to include the the cut angle and the uncut length (which is different from "A").

Moreover, -at least as for the US standard library parts-, there is definitely some GDL-bloat in the std lib, the feature improvements over the years resulted in somewhat spagetti code.

Flexibility for user modifications doesn't seem to be a QA criteria. So, if the built in doesn't cut it for you, you better off creating something from scratch (or inserting a totally new branch into the existing script doing the same thing)

BTW: Djordje, how do you like my new avatar? too bad for the 10k limit, I could have packed in one more frame into 11K
Djordje
Ace
Ferenc wrote:
BTW: Djordje, how do you like my new avatar? too bad for the 10k limit, I could have packed in one more frame into 11K
Historical!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!