BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Using 'spacebar' key as 'enter' key

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi community,

I'm new here, and hope I'm posting this question at the right place (didn't see any bug/wishlist/general topic).

Has anyone already tried to set up the ''space bar key'' as the '' enter key'' in archicad? Like autocad after you finish a command (so you didn't have move your left end). Does it work with other shortcuts ? any interferance?

Regards,
-CC
3 REPLIES 3
Podolsky
Ace
In ArchiCAD space bar is working as Magic Wand. If you want to trace on the plan lines and create for example slab or fill - you are pressing space bar.
It existed since very early versions. I'm not sure that this function can be re-programmed.
ArchiCAD has different history and does exist users who get use to classic shortcuts. It's not necessary to do everything like in another programs. For example in Maya spacebar is showing full menu on the screen. In Adobe programs (PhotoShop, InDesign, Acrobat and Illustrator) spacebar - it's pan.

If you want to use enter - use enter key. I think it makes sense.
DGSketcher
Legend
ccollin, the spacebar has various uses beyond activating the Magic Wand. To see a list of all the assigned shortcuts go to the menu bar at the top of your screen and pick Options > Work Environment > Keyboard Shortcuts and above the [OK] button in the settings window click on [Show Shortcut List in Browser]. I recommend getting used to AC's workflow rather than trying to customise everything from day one.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Eduardo Rolon
Podolsky wrote:
In ArchiCAD space bar is working as Magic Wand. If you want to trace on the plan lines and create for example slab or fill - you are pressing space bar.
It existed since very early versions. I'm not sure that this function can be re-programmed.
ArchiCAD has different history and does exist users who get use to classic shortcuts. It's not necessary to do everything like in another programs. For example in Maya spacebar is showing full menu on the screen. In Adobe programs (PhotoShop, InDesign, Acrobat and Illustrator) spacebar - it's pan.

If you want to use enter - use enter key. I think it makes sense.
To add that you will use the Magic Wand way more than a Return key since in AC the only times you need it is to to hit OK in different windows.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!