BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Window in a double wall?

Kamelite
Enthusiast
Another day, another question 🙂

As the title says, I have a wall With a Window in it. How do I proceed if I make a thinner wall outside the wall the Window is placed in, and not covering the window? The Picture describes what I mean. The wall With the horisontal panel is a thin wall build on the outside of the outter wall. There are Windows in the wall, similar to the ones on the second floor. The window to the left on the first floor I cheated, just making an identical window in the thin wall, so it's actually two Windows on the same Place, one in each wall. But there has to be an easier way to do that?

I tried to Place the window in the thin wall only, but the thick, inner wall wasn't affected by that at all, resulting in a view of the vertical panel when rendered from the viewpoint below. And, I couldn't use a window for SOE either..

And second, what is the white plane that lies at the bottom of the 1.floor? Does it somehow describe the area that are being covered by the elevations? If so, I Guess its just a layer to turn it of?

.Thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kind of messy, but....
Depending on the view you want, cut one of the "window" holes out with another small wall or slab using seo.
Then patch up with trim pieces.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are several ways to do what you want.

- Use a wall accessory object to create your "thin wall" cladding, any openings will show in the cladding too.

- Split the wall at the edge of the "thin wall" and change it's thickness, material, display etc (or use a composite or complex profile wall) so you only have one wall to place the window in. You can extend it's height up to the height required for the top of the cladding, and make the upper wall base height start at the top of the cladding. The window in the upper wall would then be set out from storey level, not wall base.

- Use an empty opening in the thin wall (with an unique ID so it can be excluded from schedules) the same size and position as your window. (You will have to adjust manually if there are any changes to the original window)

Many ways to skin the ArchiCAT.
Learn and get certified!