BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

importing library objects from other software

Anonymous
Not applicable
hello,
I apologise if this has already been answered but i have tried finding an answer...
is there a simple way to import an existing model in a format such as obj or 3ds and use it in the object library?
the same way you would download a furniture item or similar?
thankyou
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could try Model Port.
Hope that helps.
It is sad that it is sold only as a yearly subscription ;(

Piotr
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Braza

If you have Rhino, you may open your files there first then use Grasshopper-ArchiCAD connection for automatic translation.

Model Port for that type of operations is better for beginner users, and its yearly subscription is not that high if you tend to convert a big number of objects to GDLs (just think on all the time you will save).

By the way, Sketchup can import 3ds.
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Eduardo Rolon
Moonlight wrote:

By the way, Sketchup can import 3ds.
So can AC

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/64526/
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Nader Belal
Mentor
@ejrolon,

Thanks, I was going to write that
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
If the 3ds model to import has good UV mapping - then the 3ds format gives the best reasults of all foreign formats.
(but some vendors may have low quality model for architects...and so that models cause problems)

Piotr
Learn and get certified!