Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

notes + dimensions in3d views

Peter Bennison
Contributor
I deal with this in a rather laborious workaround (sorry, I am talking AC7 + PM2.3 here for the moment)

1. Either assign a camera or a 3d quick view to your required 3d view

2. Save out as 2d elements .2dl

3. Open the .2dl , annotate and static dimension in new separate layers

4. Save as a quick view and publish out to PM in the usual way

5. To incorporate changes in the model save out the original camera view or 3d quick view as a new .2dl, and merge into the original .2dl so that you keep and adjust the former annotations + static dimensions, then republish using the same quick view and the PM .lay will update

6. If you have collection of 3d views you can save each one out as .2dl and merge them all into the same document. Then assign each view its own quickview and update the whole group by publishing to PM in the usual way

Wish list - add save as .2dl to format options in publishing

Maybe this is all easier in AC8.1 ? Detail windows looks a possibility, can't you note and dimension in there ??

Here's hoping, nearly earned enough points for my upgrade AC7 >AC8.1 + OS 10.3 !

HTH
Archicad 21 FR MacBook 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7 16Mo RAM MacOS Sierra
8 REPLIES 8
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I haven't seen 8.1 yet either but I'd love to see this workflow possible without having to go out and back in. I too think the detail window might be the key.

How about a live linked 2d extraction of a 3d hidden line view into a detail window? Save As Linked Detail.

It's either that or figuring a way to draft directly on the 3d view.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
Wish list - add save as .2dl to format options in publishing

Maybe this is all easier in AC8.1 ? Detail windows looks a possibility, can't you note and dimension in there ??
In fact, it isn't easier at all ... publishing in 2DL format is still impossible, but I think the best wish would be 3D detail ability in AC, instead of copying / pasting, saving as, etc...

When I have to do this, I create a 3D quickviews, but copy and paste in a section window instead of save as 2DL file... as nothing is automated, it's as annoying as your solution !
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter,

I think I have the solution for you.

Set up the 3D views you want (using cameras for the perspective views and presets in the 3D Projection Settings for the axonimetric views), select Image > Create Fly-Through, and save the views as "2D Elements". These views can then be hotlinked into independent detail windows.

It's not quite a simple as Publisher would be (you have to run a new flythrough for each set of views) but it works pretty well. BTW, this can be done just as easily in AC7 using section windows instead of details.

I hope this works for you.
Matthew
Anonymous
Not applicable
PS:

I also tried publishing the 3D views as DWGs and adding them as xRefs. Unfortunately Publisher just saved the plan view not the 3D (PMKs work just fine). It seems that Publisher still needs significant improvement (fixing) in its handling of 3D views. It seems kind of bad for a Building Modeling program to have such problems in 3D output.
Djordje
Ace
Matthew wrote:
I also tried publishing the 3D views as DWGs and adding them as xRefs.
This of course cannot be done straight from the 3D window - you will get the 3D model.
It seems that Publisher still needs significant improvement (fixing) in its handling of 3D views.
I have no objection to Publisher - does what I want - but do have objection to direct linking in 8.x!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course, I was thinking of a 2D view and forgot that the DWG would be 3D. It would be nice to be able to publish 2D elements though, or maybe even allow ArchiCAD to read PMKs. It does seem silly on those occasions (albeit rare) when you need to get something from PlotMaker back into ArchiCAD and have to use DWG to do it.
Djordje
Ace
Matthew wrote:
Of course, I was thinking of a 2D view and forgot that the DWG would be 3D. It would be nice to be able to publish 2D elements though, or maybe even allow ArchiCAD to read PMKs. It does seem silly on those occasions (albeit rare) when you need to get something from PlotMaker back into ArchiCAD and have to use DWG to do it.
I usually copy&paste; just recently I had to recover some general details that survived some power surges and network crashes only as PMKs.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I didn't know it was possible to copy/paste from PM to AC. Very cool.