Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

open multiple dwg files with common layers in a single project

Espen da Silva
Booster

I am making a BIM project based on several DWG files, one for each floor and a handful of sections/elevations. I started by simply opening the first floor DWG in archicad. It asked me if I'd like to import all the layers, and I did. These include layers for bearing walls, non-bearing walls, windows, doors, and so on. This was very useful for cutting down on details to start modelling. But then I wanted to add one of the section DWGs that use many of the same layers. To do this, I made a section through the first floor where I know the section is, then I opened this new section. I tried to use "file > external content > external drawing" to add this dwg file, but that created a drawing object, and all it's layers are now "embedded". I would like ArchiCad to instead import all these layers like it did with the first DWG file, and "join" all the layers with the same name. 

Is this possible? Can I somehow select the second DWG drawing with its embedded layers and un-embed them?  

Skjermbilde 2023-02-11 144452.png

Here is the imported DWG section. It's been placed on the "Archicad" layer, but if I hover over an element of the drawing, I can read "embedded layer". In this case, the layer "26--Yttertak - Eksisterende.EKSIS" is the same name of a layer I first imported with the first DWG file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Espen da Silva
Booster

I was able to do this with file > interoperability > merge > merge from file!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Solution
Espen da Silva
Booster

I was able to do this with file > interoperability > merge > merge from file!