BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the better practice? walls that break at floors or walls that run footer to roof?
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Best rule of thumb is to model as you would build...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Best rule of thumb is to model as you would build...
Hi, related questions were asked here http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=179572 and I received slightly different answers (different question, similar issue). I would far prefer to follow Karl's rule of thumb, but other users suggested that AC is better equipped to handle one wall/one floor.

I have been trying to follow that suggestion and I have made it work, but it is definitely not "modeling as you would build"
Karl Ottenstein
I'm confused, Paul. I read the posts in the other thread from Matthew, Miguel and Erika and we all seem to be saying the same thing: generally model as you build (more or less).

You mention a five story wall - perhaps this is masonry or a multi-pour concrete wall. You might model that as a single wall. If it is more convenient, you might model it as 5 walls, one per story. But, we wouldn't truly model as it is built (e.g., a short wall corresponding to each max concrete pour) - although a construction model would do so.

There are other issues related to multi-story walls. One is the easy insertion of windows/openings that span multiple stories. A negative relates to reporting window sill/header heights. Neither of the wall base or story zero level may give exactly the number you want for your marker / schedule. A plus relates to canted or otherwise complexly shaped walls since you don't have to try to piece them together - and the Floor Plan Cut Plane gives you a reasonable plan representation. (So, even if such a wall - for example an Auditorium wall - is built in stages, we'd model it as a single wall in AC for ease of modeling.)

No approach is right 100% of the time - need to mix and match based on circumstances and what produces usable, modifiable drawings that fastest IMHO.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
I'm confused, Paul. I read the posts in the other thread from Matthew, Miguel and Erika and we all seem to be saying the same thing: generally model as you build (more or less)...Karl
Hi Karl, thanks for your considered reply, I certainly agree that the advice is "model as you build", though there appear to be some complexities with multi story (yes, masonry) walls. In any case, for me it's a matter of learning to use AC better. Thanks again,

Paul
Learn and get certified!