GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Can I script a parametric ellipsoidal shape?

JGoode
Advocate
Hello,

I've attached an image and I was wondering how to do it. Firstly, is this achievable?
The idea is basically to create a rounded shape but allow these dimensions to be added in to create it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
JGoode wrote:
CAN I CREATE THIS...?
I presume, by the fact that you can enter different dimensions on each parameter, that your circle could end being a double eccentric ellipse, right?
Could you elaborate on what the object is for?
Joachim Suehlo
Advisor
If you want to put in the dimensions in the floor plan, this is only possible with moveable Hotpots, which also have a numerical input field; but I think these input fields are not placed in the center and are only visible when you click on the hotspot.
Joachim Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 13.5 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely right Joachim.
I didn't get the parameter direct input value part.
It looks like some Revit user wish. Right JGoode?
JGoode
Advocate
Sorry, the dimensions would be entered on the interface and I'd potentially have dynamic hotspots at the top, bottom and sides of the 'circle' that would end up not being a circle. The use of this would be for our tree object where in plan they can be a funny shape and therefore we want to reflect that and have a bit more control instead of a just a circle!

The query was more so about creating the shape than it was inputting the dimensions!

I hope this makes a little more sense now, I was a little unsure as to how to explain it to begin with!

Braza, to answer you question... I am not a Revit user! Just trying to figure out if ArchiCAD has the functionality in GDL to do something a little more outside the box.
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
JGoode wrote:
Braza, to answer you question... I am not a Revit user!
Congratulations! This is a good start.
JGoode wrote:
Sorry, the dimensions would be entered on the interface
Do you mean the User Interface inside Object Settings?
If so... This is perfectly doable.
JGoode
Advocate
I did mean that but I'm very happy with creating the User Interface but it's the creating the actual geometry I'm struggling with as I want it to be a continuous arc rather than a point like a regular prism with curved sides would create. Does this make sense?
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try this in your 2d script.
HOTSPOT2 0, 0
mul2 lRightWidth, 1
ARC2 0, 0, 0.5, -90, 90
del 1

mul2 lLeftWidth, 1
ARC2 0, 0, 0.5, 90, 270
del 1
Hope this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok. Forgot to add the Height parameters. Here it is:
HOTSPOT2 0, 0

mul2 1, lTopHeight
mul2 lRightWidth, 1
ARC2 0, 0, 0.5, 0, 90
del 1

mul2 lLeftWidth, 1
ARC2 0, 0, 0.5, 90, 180
del 1
del 1

mul2 1, lBottomHeight
mul2 lRightWidth, 1
ARC2 0, 0, 0.5, 270, 360
del 1

mul2 lLeftWidth, 1
ARC2 0, 0, 0.5, 180, 270
del 1
del 1
JGoode
Advocate
Oh, that's brilliant! Thank you so much!

Here's another step that I'm really not so confident about, is there anyway to create that with a fill?

Many thanks,
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10