GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.
SOLVED!

Questioning about manuals ?

Nader Belal
Mentor
Where is the place that I can propose the editing for manuals ?

For instance, right now, when revising COOR, COOR{2}, COOR{3} GDL commands, there was no mentioning that the these take effect after defining a specific body.
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
80 REPLIES 80
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Joe Putnam

Just stumbled upon this in #Rhino ... And I think that reinforces our own views

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/learning-revit-or-archicad-for-rhino-grasshopper/67650/10
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Nader Belal
Mentor
GDL Manual, Page 494 - Table 6. Variable name prefixes

Add a prefix for angle, may be ang
Nader Belal
Mentor
Project2{4}

The examples that have been used and explanations are cryptic, and unclear. Needs to be redone from the its basis
Nader Belal
Mentor
GDL needs a special library section only for algorithmic solutions ...

For example, there is an algorithm that a member have shared in this forum to create a discontinued line for 3D representation, and it's fantastic.
Nader Belal
Mentor
The GDL manual falls really short in two aspects

Forward & Backward GDL Migration, it just lacks meaningful content
Nader Belal
Mentor
https://bimblog.bondbryan.co.uk/ifc-2x3-element-and-type-classification-the-plain-language-a-z-list/

The content of this post by Bond Bryan, lays out the foundation for choosing the best IFC 2*3 classification for the most common elements found in the different projects.

I believe that Graphisoft must create a special chapter, with similar content to help users choose the best subtype for the intended object.
Nader Belal
Mentor
In ArchiCAD standard electric MEP objects, you will need to set few standard parameters for:
  • Electric Current Types (AC/DC)
  • Electric Current Amperage
  • Electric Current Amperage Unit
  • Electric Current Frequency
  • Electric Current Frequency Unit
Nader Belal
Mentor
This thread insights must be included, their is no excuse to ignore it Graphisoft

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67959&p=302331#p302121
Nader Belal
Mentor
To Graphisoft

An example like this one should be added to the GDL manual

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68254&p=303334#p303334
Nader Belal
Mentor
TO Graphisoft

You Should Add this under "GDL Style Guide"

Local Coordinate "L" must return to the Global Coordinate "G" after its consumption by the general or subroutine script.

As an exception, it's admitted that you my opt out of this procedure if the coordinate transformation have taken place within a group, since that Local Coordinate "L" will return to it's previous location prior to Group definition