BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

3d line drawings for hand rendering.

Tom Krowka
Booster
What is the best way to generate a 3D line drawing on a 24 x 36 paper for rendering by hand. I've tried sketch mode with pen and ink, and the hidden line mode with internal engine. Both of them are blurry when plotted and the hatch is a mass of dots rather than actual hatch. It looks OK from a distance but is poor when viewing up close.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
12 REPLIES 12
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
I have saved a 3D hidden line view as 2dl drawing and then placed it on sheet for larger 2D views. Seemed to work pretty good because you can scale it without the jaggies appearing.
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Tom Krowka
Booster
Which engine did you use?
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Dwight
Newcomer
And you can substitute a squiggly line type in the 2dl file to make it look more like a sketch, too....
Dwight Atkinson
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Tom wrote:
Which engine did you use?
Tom, I just used the Archicad engine and hidden line with no shading. I have not tried the squiggly line as suggested by Dwight but I thought you might be using this as a base for tracing over. The nice thing about the 2dl file if you want to use it as an end product is the fact that it is lines not pixels so you can edit out any lines that show up that you don't want like messy intersections etc.
Gerald
OS X 11.6
27" LG 5K Monitor
Tom Krowka
Booster
Here's the thing. I don't want to trace over it, I just want to render it after it comes out of the plotter on a 24 x 36 sheet. I have an inkjet plotter, but I know it can plot finer lines than what I am seeing on the paper now.

I have been saving to a .jpg, then increasing the size of the drawing, which reduces the dpi. I may or not be doing the right thing to get what I am looking for.

How do you save to a 2dl. Is that a line drawing? like lines and arcs?
Something I can clean up in Archicad?

Out of time....gotta get some color on it. This client wants the hand drawn look and rendering rather than the photorealistic look.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
You can save the 3D window out as a .2dl drawing if you use the Archicad engine and hidden line mode. They you open the .2dl file in Archicad or place it in Plotmaker. You can scale it in Plotmaker and as it is a vector image you can make it as large as you like.
Gerald
OS X 11.6
27" LG 5K Monitor
Tom Krowka
Booster
I don't believe I have that option....is it in SAVE AS command? I going to go check. Be right back.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom Krowka
Booster
I DO have that option. Never scrolled down that before, of course I never needed to because I don't know what all those types of files are used for anyway.....
Thanks......really really apreciate the help.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I'm sure you could simply publish to PDF (with high dpi) to accomplish the same thing.

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!