Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Autotext Help . . . ?

__archiben
Booster
So I'm trying to get automatic, fool-proof revisioning and publishing established (despite ArchiCAD's efforts to the contrary) and wondered how I actually access the source of some of them to be able to utilise them.

Now I know how to access the Project Information side of things, but in this case I want to access the text fields available as a part of the publisher item naming rules (see screenshot)...

X. I understand where these come from but don't need them nor want to modify them to suit my issue (below).
1. I understand where this comes from but it doesn't do letters!!! (Why not?!)
2. These are mine: part of a customised Issue Scheme. Why can't I pull existing Autotext and Project Information in to the Issue Scheme?!
3.These: How do I get to the source behind these? I want to make a wee modification to one of them so that I can get a Project Number in the file name when created out of the publisher.... (I could make a new Issue Scheme field but frankly I don't want to re-enter it every time I create a new Issue, and since "Project Number" actually exists in the Project Information already I'm a little loathe to create a new entry just for publishing purposes.)

I'm getting a sense that autotext is being relied on more and more heavily by ArchiCAD to pass live information between elements. But it also strikes me that it has grown in to this beast without any oversight: Reel it in, control it, make it available at a low-level throughout the app and give us a method to create, edit (where appropriate) and delete the whole lot of them from one place: Autotext Schemes? Or linked directly to an IFC Scheme and hence at Tag level? I'm out of my depth at that point, but surely there must be a way of taming them?

Is there a way of getting a full list of Autotexts complete with Field Name, Field Value and associated #HashTagName for use anywhere and everywhere?

Somewhat related: the field in the image there called "Current Revision Issued by": where does this information get dragged from? It's hard wired and uneditable in the Issue Scheme and simply returns "ben" in all its uncapitalised, unprofessional glory as the value. (Yeah yeah. I know ). It's the reason you will see a custom "ISSUED BY" field in the scheme too: I want to control this, not let it be presented in a way I am not comfortable with. I would prefer to make this initials (BF), or at the very least "Ben" with a capital letter at the beginning . . .

Any assistance greatly appreciated!
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
~/archiben wrote:
3.These: How do I get to the source behind these? I want to make a wee modification to one of them so that I can get a Project Number in the file name when created out of the publisher.... (I could make a new Issue Scheme field but frankly I don't want to re-enter it every time I create a new Issue, and since "Project Number" actually exists in the Project Information already I'm a little loathe to create a new entry just for publishing purposes.)
Ben,
Category 3 in your screenshot is the 6 new Layout parameters that you can fill out in the Layout Setting Dialog's new Tags and Categories panel. They can be unique to each Layout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSYO1Cj_gUE
Somewhat related: the field in the image there called "Current Revision Issued by": where does this information get dragged from? It's hard wired and uneditable in the Issue Scheme and simply returns "ben" in all its uncapitalised, unprofessional glory as the value. (Yeah yeah. I know ). It's the reason you will see a custom "ISSUED BY" field in the scheme too: I want to control this, not let it be presented in a way I am not comfortable with. I would prefer to make this initials (BF), or at the very least "Ben" with a capital letter at the beginning . . .

Any assistance greatly appreciated!
I think this is your Windows User Account name - accessible in the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts control panel of Windows - (probably something similar on the Mac, too, I cannot check that as I don"t have a Mac.
When you are working on a Teamwork Project, it will return your Teamwork User Name.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
__archiben
Booster
laszlonagy wrote:
Category 3 in your screenshot is the 6 new Layout parameters that you can fill out in the Layout Setting Dialog's new Tags and Categories panel. They can be unique to each Layout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSYO1Cj_gUE
Thanks Laszlo - looks like I have some catching up to do...

If they are layout specific they're also not going to help me get the project number in the file name out of the publisher then: again not something that I want to add to each layout individually.
I think this is your Windows User Account name - accessible in the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts control panel of Windows - (probably something similar on the Mac, too, I cannot check that as I don"t have a Mac.
When you are working on a Teamwork Project, it will return your Teamwork User Name.
Makes sense, but often not something that can be set by the user(s) themselves if it is a company-wide IT thing. I haven't tried on Teamwork project but that sounds more promising. Perhaps it should come from the Work Environment...>Publisher settings in the first instance?

Thanks
B
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup