BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Black Render !

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everybody !

I have trouble rendering with Cinerender. Since yesterday, all the renders have come out completely black, with no sky above. You can see in the attachment what it looks like.

I've been working with Archicad since 2016, using it to produce high quality interior and exterior renders, and I've never encountered this kind of problems before. I'm sure that I haven't changed any parameter or whatsoever on my computer before the problem occured.

In order to solve the problem, I tried updating my graphic card driver, changing the rendering scene, lowering the render's screen size and quality, removing all the furniture in the 3D ... Nothing worked.

I'm using ArchiCad 22. These are the infomation related to my system :
* Win7
*Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-6500U CPU @2.50GHz
*Memory RAM: 12.0GB

I read all the previous questions related to similar issues on this forum, but still nothing worked for me.

CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME?
16 REPLIES 16
Carstenem
Expert
That certainly is strange, I suggest you do a new & reset in ARCHICAD draw a slab and a cube and hit render. If it is still black , then at least you know it has nothing to do with your project file.

Carsten
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Barry Kelly
Also try using different preset render settings rather than 'custom' that you show in your image.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Carstenem wrote:
That certainly is strange, I suggest you do a new & reset in ARCHICAD draw a slab and a cube and hit render. If it is still black , then at least you know it has nothing to do with your project file.

Carsten
Hello, thank you for answering !

I followed your advice, but I'm still facing the same problem. So, like you said, the problem has nothing to do with my project file.

Can you please tell me what can possibly be the cause behind this ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Also try using different preset render settings rather than 'custom' that you show in your image.

Barry.

Thanks for the answer, but even after doing that, I'm still getting the same black result.
Carstenem
Expert
my next step would be to re install AC.
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you for sharing the issue, and for those who have contributed to diagnosing the issue, thank you very much!

At first, my hunch went to hardware/OS issues, as the issue happened only recently. I am wondering if there is any recent update to the graphics card/OS that was made on the computer?

I can manage to reproduce the issue by carrying out either of these 2 tests:
- Set the sun intensity to 0 in PhotoRendering settings dialog (as can be seen in the screenshot below): that may not be the case here, but it may worth a look.

- Corrupt the texture of all materials: there might be different reasons to why it is corrupted. If this is the case, I think a reinstallation can eliminate the issue.

Other than these, I cannot think of other possible reasons. Let me know if the above suggestions help. By the way, we just released update 7000 for ARCHICAD 22. If you decide to reinstall ARCHICAD, I would strongly advise upgrading to the latest build to benefit from the latest update.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to thank all the kind persons that took the time to answer me.

First, I should mention that I made no hardware changes before the problem first occured. But after it happened, I thought of updating my graphic card drivers (with the AMD Radeon software). I must say that I've been experiencing some trouble in the display and manipulation of the 3D after the graphic update. But that's another issue.

Second, I checked the sun intensity in the rendering settings. I shows a value of 100 (and not 0). So the problem is not caused by that parameter.

Third, I tried reinstalling Archicad as you advised me. This time I had a different result !
So now I'm able to visualise a well-rendered preview (which is positive change ! ). However, soon after launching the render, it automatically stops during the calculating phase. I repeated the operation several times during the day, and the same problem occured each time. You can see how it looks like in the screenshots.

It might sound silly, but do you think it has to do with the age of the pc ? (I've been using it since the end of 2016).

Again, thank you very much for your kind replies.
Best regards.

Salomé.
Lingwisyer
Guru
If you render a smaller section, does it still stop?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Salomé,

I would say that your PC is probably not up to the task of photo rendering as you have insufficient RAM and a reasonably old slow processor.

If you use one of the fast exterior rendering setting presets set to a low resolution (640x480 pixels) does the image render, if so it is definitely your hardware that is not up to the task.

I had renders that where taking many hours (24hrs +) to process on an older PC be completed in under an hour on a newer PC with more RAM. Rendering is very memory intensive as it needs to load the model, lights, textures, radiosity solution etc in memory to process if you don’t have enough ram the computer will attempt to use your hard drive as memory but this is thousands of times slower than ram.

Best of luck
Scott
Learn and get certified!