Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimension Text Setting

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to set dimension settings as a default, given that there is no tool for the dimension setting?
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
I am not quite sure what you mean - of course the dimension tool has settings.
Change them to what you want and then save as a favourite.

If you mean the units and precision then look in the OPTIONS menu> Project Preferences.
Here you can set this as you want and save as a scheme that is then chosen when you create a view.
So you can have multiple views of the same view point but all with different settings.
So for example you could swap between feet and inches and just inches or even metric at the push of a button (by changing the dimension scheme or when changing views with different dimension schemes).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry,

What I mean is that when you double-click on a tool, the settings you use become default for that tool. You cannot do that for just the dimension text, nor can I save it as a favorite. I am not talking about the dimension itself, but the text.

The dimension text on the left is the current default dimension. The dimension text on the right is what I want. How do I set the latter as default?
Cheikh wrote:
Barry,

What I mean is that when you double-click on a tool, the settings you use become default for that tool. You cannot do that for just the dimension text, nor can I save it as a favorite. I am not talking about the dimension itself, but the text.

The dimension text on the left is the current default dimension. The dimension text on the right is what I want. How do I set the latter as default?
I think what your after is to have the Pointer settings on as a default and included in Favorite settings. I don't think you can do that. You can of course turn the Pointers on or off of a dimension chain or individual dimension, but you can't have it always come on by default. ? I think I remember when it would be on or off by default.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry,

Thanks. The pointer was the key. Once I double-click on the dimension tool and set it the way I want it, included the pointer, as a default, I place a dimension (right side). If I want to move the dimension text and have it show with a pointer, I click on the dimension text first (right side), then click on the Pointer setting tool (highlighted in yellow) and it moves the dimension text and puts the point the way I want it (left side dimension).
Dimension Text 3.JPG
You can only get the Pointers to appear after you place a dimension and Apply the Pointer. The Pointers will never appear by "default" when the dimension is initially placed. Someone correct me if that is not correct.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25