BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

General Glow?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another question...

Anyone got any idea how to get this sort of affect happening shown in the picture below. Tilted spotlights,100000000 uplights? I'm trying various methods at home with some results....

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ooh, I wanna know this too! I was actually trying to do it earlier today, but i wasn't satisfied....
Anonymous
Not applicable
*BUMP*

I have a project for school where I'd REALLY like to use this... So I need to know soon.. No one who knows?!
Anonymous
Not applicable
In Artlantis there is a shader called Neon Light that can produce this sort of effect with some practise.
In Maxwell you can make an object into a light source (I think, only played briefly with the demo, someone else can probably give you more help on this).
In AC/Lightworks you can fake it with lots of little general lights (see Dwight's book).

So to start with - what rendering software are you (both) using? Put it in your signatures.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There. Think I have it in my signature now...?!

I use ArchiCAD 10, and LightWorks, so far...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well done.

So in Lightworks - I think the best way to achieve a fluorescent type glow would be to place a lot of little 'General Light' objects along the path of where you want to glow to be coming from. So in that example render they would be sitting up behind the edge of the glowing bulkhead.

They should be very small, maybe 100mm in diameter to where the light stops, but this will depend on the effect you want of course. Shadows switched on.

Practise with one or two or five light sources before going crazy and duplicating them all over the place.

You could also try using small light cones pointing up to the ceiling from the bulkhead, with quite a wide angle.

Hope that's of some help.
Dwight
Newcomer
There is an article in my book that describes what Tom refers to. LightWorks can't make light as sophisticated as the beautiful glowing dining room we all envy.

This example uses light cone down lamps.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!