BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Realistic grass

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to create a grass surface of my own using high resolution image files, however CineRender is new to me so I don't know how to make the orientation of the surface random. I've attached the rendered image, there's a lot corrections that need to be made.

Apart from watching the instrutional videos, I was hoping you guys can offer some tips, that would really speed up my learning process.

Thanks!!
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Go to PhotoRendering settings, check the "Detailed settings" checkbox and more options will appear (make the dialogue box wider if yours does not look like my image, with 2 columns), and the Grass option is at the bottom of the list. Be aware this will slow things down considerably. You may want to render a selected area (use marquee in 3D window and use the Render Marquee Region option) to check that you are getting what you want.
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
Specifically talking about grass using textures (and not the geometry grass from CineRender), there are a couple of things that you could do:

1. The texture you are using may be tileable, but it is not equalized; in other words, it is showing a darker corner that reveals the tiling and needs to be fixed. Here's a tutorial for that: https://tolas.wordpress.com/2009/05/26/tutorial-how-to-equalize-textures-in-photoshop/
If it doesn't tile, well, you'll need to fix that too.
2. If you don't have any, look for some in cgtextures.com, under nature->grass. The selection is pretty good.
3. You can use one of the most common tricks to avoid or reduce repetition: combine a couple of textures. In the surface options, with the CineRender settings, for the color setting use texture:fusion or texture:layer. It will allow you to combine two or more textures to achieve the effect. The missing part, at least here, is that you only get a single size value. The attached is from a 3D software where you can apply different mapping coordinates to each texture, so you have more control. The effect will improve even with this limitation.

Hope that helps.
Best regards.
combine.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm, I'll try that out, will post back results later.

Though are there any other settings that can accomplish what's similar to the Internal Engine's mirroring options? If I have a floor texture and want to avoid repetitive patterns what can I do?

And another thing, can the windows reflect the physical sky? I never saw it happen before(perhaps due to wrong light angles), is it possible?

Many thanks!

Update: Thanks sinceV6, appreciate the tip!
Learn and get certified!