BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Snapping to a Ceiling Grid

TomWaltz
Participant
I feel like I'm missing something simple here:

We are drawing a line crosshatch for a 2'x2' ceiling grid. After the hatch is placed, is there any way to snap to the intersection points of the lines of the hatch?

I was thinking I might be able to move the origin somehow with a 2'x2' grid spacing, but have not been successful so far.

How does anyone else handle this?
Tom Waltz
8 REPLIES 8
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
You can use the skewed grid button (in the coordinate box): it let's you define not only the rotation angle but also the grid origin.
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
After the hatch is placed, is there any way to snap to the intersection points of the lines of the hatch?

I was thinking I might be able to move the origin somehow with a 2'x2' grid spacing, but have not been successful so far.
Have you tried to define the grid with this method :
1. First click : you define a first point (wathever, if direction is correct)
2. Second click : you define the origin...

note : this was a bug and has been corrected at least in AC8.1
TomWaltz
Participant
You can use the skewed grid button (in the coordinate box): it let's you define not only the rotation angle but also the grid origin.
Is there a way to set the grid origin visually (snapping to something) instead of typing into the Grids & Background box?
Tom Waltz
Aussie John
Newcomer
TomWaltz wrote:
Is there a way to set the grid origin visually (snapping to something) instead of typing into the Grids & Background box?
Sure, on the left hand end of the coordinate palatte is a button with a heavy hotspot icon. Click it then click on your plan and a user origin is set. Double click the ion to reset the origin.
Alternatively hold down option/shift and mouse over a hotspot and the origin will move to that point.
The first version is best as it doesnt require a hotspot to attach to.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
TomWaltz
Participant
It seems like each of those options only moves the *user* origin, not the *grid* origin.

Am I doing something wrong?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
It seems like each of those options only moves the *user* origin, not the *grid* origin.

Am I doing something wrong?
You have to click on the button shown in the capture...

The first click WILL define the origin of the grid, the second one the orientation of the grid... so, the bug that inverted this sequence (see my previous post) has been corrected.
Capture04·01·14-16.55.48.jpg
TomWaltz
Participant
THAT'S it. I knew there had to be something I was missing.

Thanks a ton, guys!
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
TomWaltz wrote:
We are drawing a line crosshatch for a 2'x2' ceiling grid. After the hatch is placed, is there any way to snap to the intersection points of the lines of the hatch?
If you used the Room Accessories for the ceiling grid, you will get hotspots at the "grid" junctions.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!