Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Why should we use the classification manager?

I am trying to wrap my head around the uses of the classification manager, because its potential has not been described very well.

I suspect that this may be like the Property Manager. Initially, I had no idea what it could be used for, until I understood that now ANYTHING could be scheduled, and pretty handily at that. That certainly got my attention.

So what are we supposed to be doing with all of these potential classifications of elements? What ability does this give us that we didn't have before? Is there anything useful here for a small firm?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There are many Classification Systems in the world: Uniclass, Omniclass, Masterformat, Uniformat, RICS, etc.

The Classification Manager allows you to load all these Classification Systems at the same time and apply all of them to construction elements.
So there is now not only one "Element Classification" field in Settings Dialogs. Instead, there can be as many Classification fields as needed.
Also, the Classification Manager works on a Project level so what you define in the Classification Manager applies to all construction elements in the Project.

A few clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVjY4UoG7Sw&index=7&list=PLnXY6vLUwlWUdB2RAfevCcWn9tDlGrSq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmE7iWF2A-0&index=8&list=PLnXY6vLUwlWUdB2RAfevCcWn9tDlGrSq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8inkzsqQVc&index=9&list=PLnXY6vLUwlWUdB2RAfevCcWn9tDlGrSq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1fGKMjpOh0&index=10&list=PLnXY6vLUwlWUdB2RAfevCcWn9tDlGrSq8
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Thanks, Laszlo, but this doesn't really address what I was asking. I am perfectly familiar with a number of these systems, but what is the benefit of putting a construction element into one of these systems? Let's say I tag an element as a "Distribution Element" (whatever that is). Okay, now what?

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I'm just not understanding the intended benefits of the Classification Manager and how it gets used in actual practice. Is the Classification system there just so that we can assign properties in a more targeted/focused way? (It's clear that there is supposed to be an interrelationship between Properties and Classifications.) Is it intended to be used somehow with the generation of specifications? It seems like understanding how the Classification Manager is supposed to be used would make a huge difference in whether you choose to use it either with a Masterformat, Uniclass, or Omniclass system, for example, each of which has a different purpose and focus.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am not that familiar with it either, but I think this could have a greater significance with data exchange with a lot of different stakeholders, and also possibly in the construction phase of the building process.

Hopefully, others can also chime in...
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
DGSketcher
Legend
I am kind of lost with these facilities as well. Yes I appreciate what they can do but I fail to see where the ROI in my projects would come from...
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Richard wrote:
I'm just not understanding the intended benefits of the Classification Manager and how it gets used in actual practice. Is the Classification system there just so that we can assign properties in a more targeted/focused way?
The purpose of classification in general is to describe some aspect of the element in more detail. At a simple level it could identify what the role the element plays in the project – a bit like the element classification provided in earlier versions of ARCHICAD. It can break down the components of a building according to work sections, which in turn relates to the specification, schedule and (post-construction) facilities management. For example, the classification might bind an element to a clause in the specification. The classification might also be linked to costing and scheduling, where cost components bind themselves to elements according to classification (and other attributes).

And as you noted, it then also allows properties to be automatically linked on the basis of classification. Exactly what the properties are depends on the role of the classification system. For example, if you are using Uniclass 2015 coupled with the NBS Toolkit in the UK, you would want required properties (ultimately for COBie output targeting FM) to bind to ARCHICAD elements.

It's a developing area, but an essential step for making better use of BIM. Doing anything intelligent with model content requires classification and properties. It's government-mandated for public-funded projects in the UK, and expect to see something similar play out elsewhere in the world.
Ralph Wessel BArch
stefan
Expert
One HUGE difference that makes it very promising is that you can limit the available custom properties by Classification value.

E.g. when you have a set of properties which ONLY apply to a particular type of wall (e.g. lightweight gyproc/knauf/...) you can use a classification to tie these properties to only the elements with this classification value. Otherwise, you custom properties spread over ALL walls (as is the case in ARCHICAD 20).

This is something that is bothering users: whenever you load manufacturer content, their properties (and possibly default values) appear on other objects from the same category as well. Now you can control this.

This is NOT possible in Revit... and it is driving users mad.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Tim Ball
Expert
One thing to watch out for is 20 classifications don't read easily into 21. See my journey to get 20 properties into 21
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
Josh Verran
Expert
We use graphic override rules and schedules which utilize classifications and relevant assigned properties.

For example if you have elements assigned to a CONCRETE STRUCTURES classification, then have properties relating to concrete strength allocated to the CONCRETE STRUCTURES classification, you can have graphic overrides which display element differently based on their concrete strength.

Can also have automated keys/schedules which are refined to only show elements assigned to certain Classifications.

Quite a bit more flexibility than just layers.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)