cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Adding newline in property text values

DGSketcher
Legend
Is there a way to embed a carriage return/new line character in property values?
It would help make my notes and labels a lot more readable without having to resort to creating multiple property values.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend
Thanks Barry. I can see what is going on. If you use the "Classification and Properties" label then as you say the use of \n is implemented, BUT if you create a label with autotext references to the same property values then the \n is displayed literally. And if \n is placed within an expression the \ is stripped.

Guess I will have to see if I can get the "C&P" label to do what I want. Unfortunately it doesn't allow text style changes to highlight or colour values unlike a simple autotext label.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
\n works for general (text) properties and ID.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
Can you put that in context Barry?

If I enter a value directly/manually e.g. "My \n Newline" the displayed autotext result is literally the same.

If I do the same as a conditional value e.g. IFS (TEST, "My \n Newline", ...) the backslash is stripped from the text and "My n Newline" is displayed.

Barry Kelly
I don’t have ArchiCAD with me at the moment so I can’t show an image.
I put \n in the ID and in a general property of a wall where I could type any text.
I then added a property label to the wall showing both of these properties and they both had new lines created.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend
Thanks Barry. I can see what is going on. If you use the "Classification and Properties" label then as you say the use of \n is implemented, BUT if you create a label with autotext references to the same property values then the \n is displayed literally. And if \n is placed within an expression the \ is stripped.

Guess I will have to see if I can get the "C&P" label to do what I want. Unfortunately it doesn't allow text style changes to highlight or colour values unlike a simple autotext label.