Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimensions without dimensions lines

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,
how can I draw dimensions without the dimensions lines? I need only the number to be shown.

Thank you!
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Change line colour to white?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I thought that, if u draw in a white background you mean?
But isnt the printer going to print the white as black in a white sheet?
Like in autocad?
I'll try that though, if I don't find out another way..
Thank you!
Barry Kelly
No you don't need a white background.
White pens just don't print.
Great for masking using white lines and solid white fills to cover info that you don't want to see - such as additional lines in the background of a section generated from the 3D model that you might not want to see.

Just make sure if you are printing from a layout that the pen set used on the layout drawings still has the white pens as white pens.

i.e. I model in colour but my layout drawings use a pen set where all of the coloured pens are set to be black - except for the white pens which remain white.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I didint know that, thank you very much
sinceV6
Advocate
White pens do "print"... depending on the pen weight/width.

By default, all white pens have a 0mm line width, so you see them on screen, but don't "print". If you change the pen width, it will "print" or at least leave out the space used by that set width.

This is something to consider if you're trying to hide dimension lines and keep only the text, because if your white pen has thickness or width, you'll see the white representation of the dimension line over other elements (such as slabs with fills, or across wall's floor plan representation).

Hope I explained myself...

Best regards.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
sinceV6 wrote:
This is something to consider if you're trying to hide dimension lines and keep only the text, because if your white pen has thickness or width, you'll see the white representation of the dimension line over other elements (such as slabs with fills, or across wall's floor plan representation).
You should be able to solve this issue by using the Display Order, although the Dimension Text and Lines cannot have different Display Order settings so there may be some situations that require an additional masking element.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think though that in my case its not possible to do anything because I already have fills that I use to find different areas. Fortunately AutoCAD recognises all these dimensions like its own and there I can supress the dim lines.
Im going to the wish list now ...