Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Door & Window Numbers In Elevations From Modules

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I would like to know how people are showing their window and door numbers in elevation when using modules.

We do a lot of multi residential work, and at the moment in our master file we are labelling all windows and doors 'by hand' with 2D text, ie they are not linked to the window/door.

This makes for too much room for human error.

Is there a way to get door and window numbers from modules to show, and be linked, in elevation?

Thanks,

Mike
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Matthew,

yeah we are trying to get them to show in the overall building, with no luck at all.

Mike
Paul King
Mentor
fuzzymike2002 wrote:
Hello,
Is there a way to get door and window numbers from modules to show, and be linked, in elevation?
Hi Mike - I know exactly what you are after, and have dealt with this situation myself.

Sadly there is no way to assign unique door & window numbers as part of the door or window itself when using repeated modules. - the allocated numbers will intrinsically repeat as well

My approach has been to define & use door & window TYPES - so that there may be 12 versions of door type 3 for example.

This is common practice in the industry anyway, especially on larger projects, though this approach has its own pros & cons - e.g. it is a pain updating a door type consistently across several modules so that all incidences of door type 3 will still schedule and be collated as one door type from the master project file containing the modules, rather than scheduling as a number of similar looking doors with the same label
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Paul wrote:
fuzzymike2002 wrote:
Hello,
Hi Mike - I know exactly what you are after, and have dealt with this situation myself.

Sadly there is no way to assign unique door & window numbers as part of the door or window itself when using repeated modules. - the allocated numbers will intrinsically repeat as well

My approach has been to define & use door & window TYPES - so that there may be 12 versions of door type 3 for example.

This is common practice in the industry anyway, especially on larger projects, though this approach has its own pros & cons - e.g. it is a pain updating a door type consistently across several modules so that all incidences of door type 3 will still schedule and be collated as one door type from the master project file containing the modules, rather than scheduling as a number of similar looking doors with the same label
Now that you mention it that is what we did on the large multi-unit projects as well. The windows and doors were not uniquely identified but rather were noted by type. As I recall the types were stored in a schedule parameter which in turn was used for the labeling.

This may not be so easy for most though. Nearly all the projects I have worked on for quite some time now use custom parts almost exclusively.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You won't be able to label the windows in elevation with the label tool. Limitation of using modules. This is due to the fact that 1.You can't modify modules in the host file. 2.Modules don't save elevation information, just plan information. 3.The labels have to be placed in elevation. You just don't have access to the parts to add the information in the view you need. Manual is the only way to do it if you are using modules.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just checked this and sure enough I couldn't label a window in a hotlinked module. I guess adding the label is considered a modification to the part or something. In any case it seems like an unnecessary limitation.

Seems like a good candidate for the wishlist. Anyone?
anyari
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Thanks for the discussion in this topic, I have just entered a bug - request into our database.
Best regards,
Attila Nyari
Technical Support Team
Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
anyari wrote:
Thanks for the discussion in this topic, I have just entered a bug - request into our database.
Best regards,
Thanks Attila,

It's good to know you're paying attention.
Anonymous
Not applicable
So its been 3 years, and I'm back doing another apartment building.

Has Graphisoft changed anything to allow us to add door/window numbers of modules in the master file?

Does anyone have any work arounds that work with minimal pain?

Thanks.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
So the basic problem with Doors and Windows coming from Hotlinked Modules is that no element of a Hotlinked Module can be modified in the host file in any way. And checking the "Label Element" checkbox of a Door is a modification so it cannot be done.

The only workaround solution I can think of is to modify the 3D Script of the Door/Window object and add some TEXT commands to it which would display their ID (or any text you specify) in 3D. That would be displayed even in the 3D/Sections of the host since it is part of the 3D of the Door/Window.
We used to do that on our Projects. This way all Sections and Elevations automatically displayed their ID.

Also, if you do that, you can make it Viewpoint-type dependent so that the TEXT command of the object is generated e.g. in Section/Elevation Viewpoints, but not in 3D. This of course requires some GDL knowledge.

One additional note is that since this involves modifying GDL, it works only for GDL types of elements, like Doors/Window/Stairs, but not other 3D element types like Walls, Slabs, Roofs etc.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27