Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Fills and Layouts?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Something is going on that I don't understand.
I recently created a roof plan that was part of a design development submittal for a HOA.
In the past I would create a plt file from archicad directly and there would be no printing problems. This time I used the same fill that I always did except instead of making a plt file I saved the view and placed it on a layout and then made a pdf file of the sheet and sent it to the printer.
The walls turned out black when it printed.
When I make a plt file the walls have a dot screen that prints about 50%
shaded. Been using this fill for years with no problem.
The plan on the layout was 1/4" = 1'-0" and so was the print.
Is this issue something to do with the layout and some transparency setting, or am I expecting to much from a pdf file?
I just went back to look at the original pdf file and sure enough the walls
are solid black. I hadn't notice this on print day because they always look
black until you zoom in.
So I guess the big question is why is a 50% dot screen fill turning solid black when I make a pdf from the layout?
3 REPLIES 3
NCornia
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Jonathan,

Some common printer languages including PostScript, PCL5, GDI have limited support for transparency, therefore some of the visual information may be lost in translation. Please see this article for more details: http://www.archicadwiki.com/Bugs/PrintingProblemWithTransparentFills

The solution for some is to avoid overlaying pattern fills and transparent fills or in some cases users will utilize a solid fill set to a medium gray to achieve the same look as a 50% transparent fill.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Nicolas,

I must be more careful. This mistake cost me big time. Had to submit DD
roof plan to HOA without the required building walls shown below.
NCornia wrote:
Jonathan,

Some common printer languages including PostScript, PCL5, GDI have limited support for transparency, therefore some of the visual information may be lost in translation. Please see this article for more details: http://www.archicadwiki.com/Bugs/PrintingProblemWithTransparentFills

The solution for some is to avoid overlaying pattern fills and transparent fills or in some cases users will utilize a solid fill set to a medium gray to achieve the same look as a 50% transparent fill.

Best regards,
Anonymous
Not applicable
"h" 🙂