Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Neverending drawing updates on sheets

joey1
Participant

Lets say your on a sheet with a few drawings, you click over on another screen to send an email then click back over to Archicad to continue working. Even though Archicad has already updated the drawings, it still feels the need to update them all again. Changing everything to manual update speeds things up but produces more errors when someone forgets to update a sheet.

3 REPLIES 3
jl_lt
Ace

I think these updates are an extremely incovenient annoyance.

I think if, for the time being, they cant make the software learn what we do so it determines when it should update and when it shouldnt, they should at least implement some rules and thresholds. something like:

-if mouse stays iddle for more than 5 minutes, ask if i want to update. If i dont answer in another five minutes. Update everythings, as it means i went for some beers. If mouse stays iddle for more than 2 hours call 911.

-moving layouts around and clipping them. Please don't update. Like, please DON'T. Once the software detects im not working in that layout, it can update, preferably in the background.

And so forth

Also the process of updating a view eliminates, more often than not, previuous actions, rendering the undo button unusable. Something to think about 

Gerry Leonor
Advisor

our office sets it to manual updates on all drawings in all layouts in most cases. a few drawings are set to auto-update, but these are mostly for Quality Checks.

Pros:

• speeds up flicking through drawings avoiding the waiting time for auto-updates
  • using Trace Reference with the Source View, we can quickly check which part of the model has been updated & cloud changes to them. we've found that they're not immediately obvious when collating drawings before a publish, so a quick Trace Reference between the placed drawing & source view helps a visual check which drawings have any changes in them. (FYI, it doesn't always work with schedules as you can't use Trace Ref, but we've found a workaround)

Cons:

• people having to be vigilant to update drawings before clicking Publish. Yes, I've done this about once or twice in the past 2 years, but it's a small trade-off for the Pros mentioned above.

a middle ground would be to have a notification pop-up before Publishing starts saying that the model has been changed since your last drawing update. hell, we get that same notification we publish DWGs already even though we've just updated all drawings & published PDFs -- why not have that pop-up be smarter?

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
Mischa
Contributor

Don't click back in ArchiCAD after sending an email, just mouse over your layout, zoom in and then you can click without updating again 😉

But that's more a workaround than a solution^^