Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

PDF output in plotmaker 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been less than happy with the new PDF save option in archicad and plotmaker 9. Often times when using this new feature I get one or more sheets that "fail" according to the progress dialog box. Most of the time these failed sheets appear to output correctly but it does leave me wondering. Today however I was not able to get a merged group of three sheets to output at all. If I output them individually the pdf files are created (although one of the three sheets "fails" in the progress box). When I output them with the merged box checked, a different sheet "fails" and the file is not produced at all. If I go back to my old ways of printing to a pdf I can create the desired merged pdf. Have others had problems with this? Are people using the new "save" to PDF in publisher or have you chosen to go back to the old ways? The new save method does always seem to pick up the correct page size which has been nice. Thanks for any feed back
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike,

I have had exactly the same experience and have been unable to deduce the reason or solution. Have you gotten any further response to this issue?

Thanks,

Tim
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have not found any solution and based on the lack of response I thought I was alone in these problems. I have reverted to outputting PDF's as I had done before. It would be nice if it worked consistently because I like the concept. Perhaps it is one more feature that was released before its time
Thomas Holm
Booster
I've seen no such problem, on the contrary, Plotmaker9's Publish to pdf option works very well and the pdfs print much better than printing (or print to pdf) directly from Archicad or Plotmaker. This IS a problem, though. I guess this is platform-specific.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess this is platform-specific.
Are there any PC users out there who are using the new method of outputting PDF's via publisher successfully? As I indicated in my initial post I get errors for certain un-predictable sheets and have had merged sets not output at all.
Djordje
Ace
Mike wrote:
I guess this is platform-specific.
Are there any PC users out there who are using the new method of outputting PDF's via publisher successfully? As I indicated in my initial post I get errors for certain un-predictable sheets and have had merged sets not output at all.
I did have a few problems, like sheets marked Failed when they did happen. Not too much research, but the failsafe method each time was to change the publishing method from Save to Print.

Warning: ALWAYS set the Amyuni margins to zero in Printer default settings!!!!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Andy Thomson
Advisor
I have found it to be a Plotmaker-publisher-PC-thing. I never get 'failed' x's with the mac, so when comes time to output a larger PDF set, I give it to one of my mac-head colleagues...but I will try 'print' vs. 'save' next time.

A
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had Adobe's Acrobat for a while now. I favor it over the included amyuni pdf converter. I simply input my page size, set my pdf dpi to 144, and viola. . .complete project documentation in a nice small file. (I have been able to have 10 page ARCH D plots be under 1.5 megs with Adobe's Acrobat, vs. a much larger file size up to 3 times that with the Amiyuni pdf printer).

On another note. . .you can purchase Acrobat, and then share the print driver out on the network from a single platform. . .effectively eliminating buying it for every work station.

BTW, I use this version of Acrobat
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
I'm on a PC and have had the same problem -- I've updated to Acrobat 7.0.7 to no avail -- 3 sheets out of 10 marked "Failed", but seem to output correctly...

archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=8387&highlight=plotmaker+publishing+failed
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Rick Thompson
Expert
I could not see any reason to publish to pdf. It requires more steps than a simple print to pdf (mac at least). Why bother?
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display