Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Pdf fiiles created from publisher are very large

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having an issue publishing pdf files. They are extremely large, i.e. 5-18 MB. for drawings with about 3-4 MB of plotmaker files. I just started having this problem on a project where i have successfully created pdfs before, in the past couple of weeks. Example, I had file sizes for an exterior elevation drawing of 1.6 MB. The same drawing, albeit with some revisions, is now 16.6 MB.
22 REPLIES 22
Djordje
Ace
npacella wrote:
The same drawing, albeit with some revisions, is now 16.6 MB.
Hmmm ... what were the revisions? If you added a bitmap, or an internal engine shaded view, that might well be the reason.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Chazz
Enthusiast
Raster data in the PLN (backgrounds, renderings, scans, etc) can really bloat the size of AC-generated PDFs. If you have Acrobat you can use the File>Reduce File Size command. In OSX you can use the less reliable system level Compress PDF command. Both of these techniques can help with purely vectorial data too (as opposed to Raster) but not nearly as well. Neither is a solution if you are generating PDFs and uploading them to FTP space in one fell swoop which is a bummer. It appears true that PDF's generated from AC are not as compact as those made from Acrobat or other tools.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
This seems like a good wish list item...

More PDF control within Archicad.
David Shorter
Advisor
The one thing which really boats the PDF is when symbol fill are used. In 10 this is a real killer
Archicad 4.1 to 28 Tech Preview. Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know if this helps but I had a similar problem. When I batch plotted a number of pdf's, the plot status dialog box says they all saved ok and were of a reasonable size (50-250 kb). When I looked at the files in the directory I saved them to, several had bloated to 2-3 mb. When I went back and saved each separately, they kept their original size. What is it about batch plotting pdf's that causes them to expand significantly?

Gary Bley
Stress Co_
Advisor
Chazz wrote:
In OSX you can use the less reliable system level Compress PDF command.
Chazz:
Are you doing this in Acrobat? Finder?
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Chazz
Enthusiast
Stress wrote:
Are you doing this in Acrobat? Finder?
In the standard OSX 10.4 Print dialog there is command under the PDF dropdown to compress a raster-heavy PDF. See this.
Stress Co_
Advisor
No wonder.... I'm using 10.3
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Chazz
Enthusiast
Stress wrote:
No wonder.... I'm using 10.3
As I said previously, the Compress PDF command in OSX 10.4 is less reliable than the Reduce File Size command in Acrobat (at least in version 6 which is my latest) but it can sometimes help.

Not that I'd want to stress you out any further, but 10.3 -> 10.4 is a yummy jump which (for me, anyway) was all goodness and no badness. In fact, unlike AC upgrades, I don't think I've ever installed an Apple OS update and regretted it. They are rock solid, deliver functionality and productivity and are nearly trivial to load. A remarkable feat when you consider the complexity underlying the act. GS would be well served to look to Apple when setting the bar for their future upgrades.