Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Plotmaker crashing

Tom Krowka
Booster
I have a peculiar problem that just came up yesterday. I have several projects I've been working on, opening in plotmaker, etc. Today, for some unknown reason, PM crashes when opening, but only particular .lbks. Not all of them, only two of them. Yesterday, I opened them fine. Today. they crash. Both the lbk and the bbk. PM starts to read data, then just shuts down. Can't understand why.

Major bummer!!!!
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
12 REPLIES 12
Djordje
Ace
Tom wrote:
I have a peculiar problem that just came up yesterday. I have several projects I've been working on, opening in plotmaker, etc. Today, for some unknown reason, PM crashes when opening, but only particular .lbks. Not all of them, only two of them. Yesterday, I opened them fine. Today. they crash. Both the lbk and the bbk. PM starts to read data, then just shuts down. Can't understand why.

Major bummer!!!!
Try opening a blank/template LBK and importing the one(s) that crash into it, and check.

If any errors are reported, those are the culprits ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Aussie John
Newcomer
check you havent used an odd font.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Tom Krowka
Booster
Hmmmmm. I'll try both those solutions. But regarding the font....how could the AC drawing suddenly change fonts. I don't think I did anything to knowingly change the fonts.

Thanks.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Stress Co_
Advisor
Tom:

Did you resolve your issue? Do you get any error message in PM before it crashes? ..... just wondering as I have a simular problem.

Marc
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Stress Co_
Advisor
Djordje wrote:
Try opening a blank/template LBK and importing the one(s) that crash into it, and check.

If any errors are reported, those are the culprits ...

Djordje.... your suggestion worked to get me printing again.. a Big Thank You. I still get the same error message, but PM doesn't crash. I didn't move the Layout book. Any ideas

Here's my original topic post with the error message:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=8440
I guess I should have done a search before posting my query to the forum.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Djordje
Ace
Tom wrote:
Hmmmmm. I'll try both those solutions. But regarding the font....how could the AC drawing suddenly change fonts. I don't think I did anything to knowingly change the fonts.
Installing an application that installs its own True Type fonts will mess up the ArchiCAD font index table; so, after you do install something that does install fonts, run the ArchiCAD installation with Repair option again. That might help re-establish the fonts - but will not sort out the indexing of the font already used in the projects ...
Djordje

HP Omen
Djordje
Ace
Stress wrote:
Djordje.... your suggestion worked to get me printing again.. a Big Thank You. I still get the same error message, but PM doesn't crash. I didn't move the Layout book. Any ideas
Good Now let's check the error message ...

OK, did you check the drawing usage? There might be a non-ArchiCAD originating file (image, text, whatever) that is causing trouble.

Did you rename the folder, disk, add another folder, in general did a change to the file system? Did you move the PLN or any of the files that are linked to the LBK?

Just re-linking all the placed stuff should sort you out ... please post the screenshot of your Drawing usage.
Djordje

HP Omen
Tom Krowka
Booster
I was not getting an error message, PM would just fold up and go away.

I ended up recreating parts of the layout book from a backed up copy. Not too much work but irritating.

Actually, I had two lbk's that would not open. Worked on one; the second one opened the next day. No telling what happened there. I wonder if it was some kind of memory problem.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Paul King
Mentor
It was probably crossed links from plotmaker drawing titles.
If Plotmaker crashes during an update, it often leaves a hidden version of ArchiCAD running. When you restart Plotmaker,and continue the updates, links can be messed up due to a second copy now using same views

You can often recover portions of a corrupted layout book by importing sheets into a different layout - even if you can't open the corrupted layout directly BUT only try sheets thats did not contain auto drawing titles linked to views - or you will corrupt your new layout too!

Graphisoft need to sort this out!!

All database packages need to be able to resolve cross linkages gracefully.
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop