Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Printing layouts to PDF that have jpg figures placed

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having trouble Printing to Acrobat PDF from Plotmaker if the layouts contain ArchiCAD views that have place fiqures that are JPG images. When I try to print to a PDF from Plotmaker the print timer startes but locks up. I have not tried to let the print run overnight yet.
Is there something that would stop or extremly slow a layout being printed to PDF if the original ArchiCAD view contains a place JPG Figure? If not what can I do to get this to work?
Thanks,
John

layout in Plotmaker copy.jpg
9 REPLIES 9
Djordje
Virtuoso
johncassel wrote:
I am having trouble Printing to Acrobat PDF from Plotmaker if the layouts contain ArchiCAD views that have place fiqures that are JPG images.
What is the real (uncompressed) size of that placed image?

What is the PDF resolution you are printing to?

How is the image compression set in Acrobat?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also there's some issues apparently with some full versions of Accrobat (if you have that installed). If you're having problems with printing to Accrobat universally, the issue seems to be caused by a large number (into the thousands) of temp files that it creates. The Amyuni driver apparently doesn't have the problems by itself, unless the full Accrobat is installed.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
What is the real (uncompressed) size of that placed image?.
The image is a 934 KB greyscale tif.
Djordje wrote:
What is the PDF resolution you are printing to?
How is the image compression set in Acrobat?
The Adobe PDF Converter Anvanced Document Settings/Graphic/Print Quality is set to 1200 DPI.
That setting is under the Adavnced button on the Paper/Quality Tab. I don't think that was the PDF resolution that you are asking about. Under the Adobe PDF Settings tab there a box allowing me to chose which Adobe PDF Conversion Settings I want. If I select Edit here I get the following settings:
General (tab) 600 "dots per inch"
Image (tab)
Color Images and Greyscale Images:
Bicubic downsampling to 150 dpi for images greater than 225 dpi; Compression: Automatic (JPEG); Image Quality: Medium

Is there a setting that I need to change to get Plotmaker to able to create a PDF using Acrobat 6?

Thank you,
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
Acrobat 6, Plotmaker 3.1 R1
Anonymous
Not applicable
johncassel wrote:
Acrobat 6, ...
Yes, that's the problem I was having not too long ago. I guess version 6.0 created THOUSANDS (it was at least 2-3k for me) of TMP files in a local temp directory and apparently because of this I couldn't open any Adobe Reader/Distiller/Accrobat. It's apparently a known bug - follow this link for their solutions: http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/31e12.htm. Be prepared for some longer wait time until windows comes to grips with the fact that you want to delete all those thousands of files...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sergio,
Did you try updating to Acrobat 6.0.1? That was the first solution on the Adobe page that you sent me to. I'm trying it now.
Thanks,
John
Djordje
Virtuoso
johncassel wrote:
Acrobat 6, Plotmaker 3.1 R1
Try Amyuni, you got it with ArchiCAD. I stopped using Acrobat for printing completely, use Amyuni for all PDF printing.
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Try Amyuni, you got it with ArchiCAD. I stopped using Acrobat for printing completely, use Amyuni for all PDF printing.
The Amyuni won't work either until the Accrobat issue is resolved (in my experience). My issue with this driver is the weird page size - it's pretty tough to get a real 24" x 36" page (seems like it only has SI page sizes or badly defined english ones - maybe I should look at it again). Anyway, I didn't have the patience to get it to work since I had Adobe lying around.

As far as upgrading, I haven't gotten around to that. Deleting the files was way quicker, and I figured it would impact the upgrade anyway. I don't use Accrobat for much else, but I guess I should get the upgrade installed regardless.
Djordje
Virtuoso
Sergio wrote:
Djordje wrote:
The Amyuni won't work either until the Accrobat issue is resolved (in my experience). My issue with this driver is the weird page size - it's pretty tough to get a real 24" x 36" page (seems like it only has SI page sizes or badly defined english ones - maybe I should look at it again). Anyway, I didn't have the patience to get it to work since I had Adobe lying around.
See Erika Epstein's Tip of the month in ArchiGuide Tech Tips! Congrats, Erika!
Djordje

HP Omen