cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Project houses with multiple story levels

Masimo85
Contributor

Hi, 

So I would assume this is a commen question to be asked. 

But since English isn't my main language, my searches has come up with not the relevant guide nor explanation to how its done prober. 

I have to draw up 4 connected house, with each house following the terrain - and will be 500-1000mm below the last previous house.

My problem here is getting the plan view to show all the plans correctly for all 4 buildings at the same time. So when I do the drawings, the measurement are all aligned and measured between the buildings - like spaces and diagonals. 

What I did last time, was to have 2 different views for each house, and then put them together in the layouts - however, I felt like this was a way where there's a huge risk for mistakes. So I was hoping, that Archicad 26 has a better way of doing this - or someone out theres has trick for doing this better next time. 

Really hoping for a youtube film or a guide step-by-step 😉

16 REPLIES 16

I have four separate models (PLN files) and then link them into one master file. When you do the hot linking, bring them in a story at a time, and not as a whole model. You can place each story on its own master layer. This way you can turn on only the first floor of each building for a site plan. Save the layer conditions as a Layer Combo and the plan as a view to layup on sheets.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

It's not always necessary to import each story one at a time even if story's height are different for each Module, you have an option to preserve the story structure of the module.

Placing the whole module facilitate is placement in altitude.

Usualy you don't have so much Element like walls that you need to see on several story.

So if you set all the walls that have to be cut to symbolic cut and to be seen only on his implantation story, they will always be drawn cut on the master file. Do the same way for those that need to be uncut (set to only contour line) and for other Element.

Then each story of the master file show the corresponding story of each module independently of their altitude and of the position of the cutting plane.

Then it's easier to manage annotations on the master file.

Then no need to create drawing assembly on layouts. 

ArchiCad 3.43 to 26
MacOS Monterey

It's just easier this way not to mess with the faulty "cut plane" line which is highly finicky. It's a very straight forward process with no hoops to jump through.

Using this method a lot of times it's difficult to have the windows and doors show properly on all wall on different buildings at different levels.

It also allows you to filter what is shown in 3D views for showing only the first level of every building, and then the first and second, and then the first, second and third, etc. It just has much more flexibility.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Masimo85
Contributor

Thank you for the responses, Im gonna try this out ... However imo having multiple models just seems to complicate things, when you wanna make changes. 

Would be better if you could make the floor plan cut staggered, like you can with the Section Tool. 

Fx, the project house looks similar to this - and all of them has to be the same, more or less. 

Skjermbilde 2023-02-19 081722.jpg

The Image you show let me think that the 4 houses are the same.

That justifies the use of modules. You create one file for the house and you place it as a module 4 times in the master file. Modifying the module will update the 4 instances of the master file.

ArchiCad 3.43 to 26
MacOS Monterey

Agree. I think all the methods presented here work. But if the real project is like the image, i.e. with not a big diference of levels between units, i would go with modules too.

Barry Kelly

And don't forget, you can link layout drawings to views in other files.

So I would model each plan in a separate file (if they are different you will have 4 files, if they are all identical you would only need one).

These are your module file, but no need to save as MOD files, PLN is fine.

Then you have a 5th file (or 2nd) which is your master site plan.

You hotlink the modules (Archicad layer as the master layer) in and elevate as necessary to get the fall you want.

If the site plan does not look any good because of the Floor Plan Cutting Plane height (although it should be fine from what you show), then in the layouts, you can add the site plan view of each individual unit (link to external file) and join them together.

Overlay those 4 plans on top of the site drawing.

But I don't think you will need to link to external files in this case.

From this master site plan, you can also create sections and elevations of the overall project for the street scape as you have shown in your image.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Wow. I didnt know one could link to views in other files. We will definetely try that. Thanks Barry! 

If the building are all the same model, then I just have one model building and hotline it into the site file as a linked PLN.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx