BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Repeating elements

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

I am quite new to ArchiCAD using it for the first time for a student project. So far the one thing I can't work out is how to work on a repeated part of a drawing. Let's say I have a typical apartment layout that is repeated in several parts of the project - do I have to edit every instance of that apartment each time the layout changes? In AutoCAD you could make a block, in SketchUp you could make a component. Is there an ArchiCAD equivalent? I have turned some 2D Drawings into objects but then it becomes totally uneditable - surely there must be a way to deal with this...

Regards,

James
5 REPLIES 5
Dontknow
Enthusiast
Select you layout of your apartment pick it up (move it) at a particular point (node), press Ctrl+Alt in Windows and Ctrl+Cmd on a Mac (++ will appear) and you can copy it as often if you like.

To make the selection easier after the first time you can make a group of it.
Architectural construction designer, draftsman, modeller
ArchiCAD 25.
Eduardo Rolon
Yes, they are called Modules.

• Select items that you need to repeat and do File -> External Content -> Save Selection as Module.

• To edit them you will need to open them on a separate AC session and you can only update the modules in floor plan.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks eduardo, thats just what Im looking for. Is it possible to have the main drawing and the module open at the same time?
Eduardo Rolon
Yes. If I remember correctly you can select the module and check for "Open in Separate AC" option or just go to File -> Open and check the "Launch in Separate AC".
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
Yes. If I remember correctly you can select the module and check for "Open in Separate AC" option or just go to File -> Open and check the "Launch in Separate AC".
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Learn and get certified!