Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

TIP: Keynote Sharing - Linking Information to Elements and Adding Parameters

iggiv
Enthusiast

[Moderator: This tip was originally posted in the Archicad 28 Technology Preview forum, but we moved it to the Documentation forum to make it available for all users. The tip applies to Archicad 28.]

Team:

I would like to briefly share my experience with Keynote. I’m happy to report that I’m very pleased with the results, and I’d like to share this with anyone who may be interested in learning how to use this new tool.

I had previous experience using the CI tool Keynotes. After importing them into AC Keynotes, I had a total of over 800 notes to work with. I organized these keynotes into four different folders:

1. Folder 01 - Using the MasterFormat: In this folder, I include the required information for the contractor to ensure compliance with my needs. The levels only contain the key and title information. The description is shown on the layout within the “Keynote Legend.”
  2. Folder 02 - Using Specifications for Product Information and Finishes: This is probably the most useful folder. I formatted the label with the key and title. I should clarify that I use the “Product Spec” for reference, which I created with a second program called FileMaker—a simple database. Each record has fields containing all the product specification information. By referring to the label’s key number, you can cross-reference it with the specification book.
  3. Folder 03 - Using IBC, NFPA, or Local Codes: This folder ensures that the construction complies with all necessary codes.
  4. Folder 04 - Extra Folder for FF&E and Interior Decoration: This folder varies depending on the project and doesn’t necessarily reflect the specifications, such as paint or office furniture.

TIP:

Within Keynote, in the top left corner, the first icon is for “Auto Text,” which I find very useful. I’ve created my own property folders within the “Property Manager.” Here, I store everything I need (e.g., manufacturer, tile collection, door hardware, etc.). I then create a keynote label with the Key and Description from the Keynote tool, plus I add any parameter to display all relevant information.

To edit and fill in the information, I create a schedule with the elements’ parameters (not the keynotes), allowing me to export or edit them as needed. This ensures the information is all linked to the “Product Spec” parameter. After adding the information to this parameter, I can successfully link the information to the elements.

WISH LIST:

I wish I could change the description of the keynote by the “element ID” parameter in the “Keynote Legend.” This would allow me to have only one file where the element Tile or ID remains consistent.

SOLUTION:

Since I can’t add the “element ID” to the “Keynote Legend,” I have to display the information in a schedule, which essentially serves the same purpose. The trick is to use the “Product Spec” parameter which is related to the element.

I hope this information is helpful to someone. My intention area simply to share how I do things.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
iggiv
Enthusiast

I do not know who to undo the solution of the response. But

Franz Sdoutz:

Allow me to elaborate on what I did. I hope this helps you understand my process.

1. Creating a Product Spec Document:

•I created a product specification document in FileMaker, but this can also be done in Excel. This file contains all the products with relevant information. The two most important fields are:

• 1.1.Spec Reference Number or Record ID: This number never changes for the product but can be modified for other purposes. This consistency helps ensure uniformity across all my documents.
  • 1.2.Web Page for the Product: This provides a reference for procurement, clients, or contractors to confirm the exact product I’m specifying.

2. Customizing the Property Management Folder:

•I personalized my “Property Management” folder, where one of the most used properties is the “Spec Reference” property, which I share across all elements. I manually fill in this field within a schedule after selecting the product from the “FileMaker” document, avoiding the need to duplicate information.

3. Linking Information to Elements:

•Once I’ve added this information to all elements with the setting of each element under “Classifications and Properties”, I can use a label to link this information within the Keynote or as an independent label. I prefer using Keynotes because they allow me to generate a “Keynote Legend” and automatically update changes without searching for independent labels.

4. Creating a Keynote Label:

•I create a Keynote label depending on its use, also incorporating an “Auto Text” feature to display relevant parameters.

5. Placing the Label:

•I then place the label on the desired element.

6. Formatting the Label:

•The label is formatted with Text/Auto Text from the element.

After setting this up, everything becomes straightforward. I can make all changes either in the schedule or within the Keynotes.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Franz Sdoutz
Enthusiast

@iggiv What am I missing here? Where? How? What release? Screenshot please! 

Within Keynote, in the top left corner, the first icon is for “Auto Text,” which I find very useful. 

Solution
iggiv
Enthusiast

I do not know who to undo the solution of the response. But

Franz Sdoutz:

Allow me to elaborate on what I did. I hope this helps you understand my process.

1. Creating a Product Spec Document:

•I created a product specification document in FileMaker, but this can also be done in Excel. This file contains all the products with relevant information. The two most important fields are:

• 1.1.Spec Reference Number or Record ID: This number never changes for the product but can be modified for other purposes. This consistency helps ensure uniformity across all my documents.
  • 1.2.Web Page for the Product: This provides a reference for procurement, clients, or contractors to confirm the exact product I’m specifying.

2. Customizing the Property Management Folder:

•I personalized my “Property Management” folder, where one of the most used properties is the “Spec Reference” property, which I share across all elements. I manually fill in this field within a schedule after selecting the product from the “FileMaker” document, avoiding the need to duplicate information.

3. Linking Information to Elements:

•Once I’ve added this information to all elements with the setting of each element under “Classifications and Properties”, I can use a label to link this information within the Keynote or as an independent label. I prefer using Keynotes because they allow me to generate a “Keynote Legend” and automatically update changes without searching for independent labels.

4. Creating a Keynote Label:

•I create a Keynote label depending on its use, also incorporating an “Auto Text” feature to display relevant parameters.

5. Placing the Label:

•I then place the label on the desired element.

6. Formatting the Label:

•The label is formatted with Text/Auto Text from the element.

After setting this up, everything becomes straightforward. I can make all changes either in the schedule or within the Keynotes.

Hope this helps