Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Titles Disappearing in PM 3.1

Anonymous
Not applicable
I find I have a bunch of titles that aren't fitting on the page, and when I try to move them so that they do, they are disappearing, apparently behind the drawings. Logic would indicate that "send to front" ought to fix this, but it doesn't, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them out in front where they're actually visible. Anyone have any ideas?

Wendy
10 REPLIES 10
Jefferson
Participant
Wendy,

Have you tried dragging the titles, [these were made in PM?], out of the drawing frame and reinserting them? Also, and/or sending the drawings "back" in their display order. I have had on occassion multiple drawings and/or elements set to the "top of the pile" and AC or PM in this case just decides on it's own which one it likes the most on top.

Best I can do short of rebuild, redraw, restart.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Djordje
Ace
Wendy wrote:
I find I have a bunch of titles that aren't fitting on the page, and when I try to move them so that they do, they are disappearing, apparently behind the drawings. Logic would indicate that "send to front" ought to fix this, but it doesn't, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them out in front where they're actually visible. Anyone have any ideas?
Make the placed drawings background transparent?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jefferson wrote:

Have you tried dragging the titles, [these were made in PM?], out of the drawing frame and reinserting them?
Yes, they're generated by PM.

They're really not *in* the drawing frame to start with, but at the bottom of it, at the default location. I've tried dragging them all over the place, but they just go hide behind the drawing every single time. I'll see what happens if I try dragging them somewhere further than usual.
Also, and/or sending the drawings "back" in their display order. I have had on occassion multiple drawings and/or elements set to the "top of the pile" and AC or PM in this case just decides on it's own which one it likes the most on top.
No, I haven't tried that, since they're pretty obviously behind the drawing. But if AC and PM are random about this, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
Best I can do short of rebuild, redraw, restart.
Even then, I still have the same problem - at least with deleting the view and reimporting it.

If there's a lot of space in the drawing, it doesn't seem to be *quite* as much of an issue, but it's particularly bad with renderings.

Thanks.

Wendy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:

Make the placed drawings background transparent?
I tried that, Djordje, thanks, but it didn't work.

Wendy
Jefferson
Participant
D@#n! Wendy this is weird....is this just with one file [layout book] or any that you open? Maybe try a new and reset file............Have your pen settings for your titles been altered perhaps, or display options?

I can't reproduce the same behavior, and Djorde's suggestion of transparent background corrected any stacking jdisplay anomalies.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Sorry to say, but this seems pretty normal to me.

Display Order has no effect on titles. Titles are essentially part of the drawing in that there is no way to select the drawing without the title.

It also depend on the type of view. 3D Views act differently as they basically just imported as bitmap images and only have options of transparent/non-transparent backgrounds.

Other views can, in addition to having the same transparency options, contain fills with white foregrounds/backgrounds that will potentially hide titles attached to them.

You can check this by going to Options>Display Options...>Fills: All to Empty and/or Options>Display Options...>Background Color: Transparent.

I don't agree that all of this is a good thing - if we would like to have our titles sitting on top of our drawing, we should be able to! So titles should be incorporated into the Display Order somehow, but then again we should be able to anchor titles too!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jefferson wrote:
D@#n! Wendy this is weird....is this just with one file [layout book] or any that you open?
I only have the one file. The only other project I've done in AC went bye-bye a year or so ago when my hard drive died without a backup <sigh>.

Wendy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Sorry to say, but this seems pretty normal to me.
Just my luck <g>.
Titles are essentially part of the drawing in that there is no way to select the drawing without the title.
I'm not sure I understand this, Link. I can fairly easily (usually) move one around without the other.
It also depend on the type of view. 3D Views act differently as they basically just imported as bitmap images and only have options of transparent/non-transparent backgrounds.

Other views can, in addition to having the same transparency options, contain fills with white foregrounds/backgrounds that will potentially hide titles attached to them.
If I'm understanding you correctly, then that should result in the problem happening with plan views but not with rendered perspectives, when in fact, I'm experiencing just the opposite.

So whatever is going on, how am I supposed to get a title to show on the drawing if the drawing is big enough to cover the entire layout, or at least enough of it that there's no room for the title in the default position it automatically comes in with? I really don't want to have to resize the drawings if I can avoid it.

Wendy
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I'm not sure I understand this, Link. I can fairly easily (usually) move one around without the other.
You can move the title separate from the drawing, but can you select the drawing and not the title?
when in fact, I'm experiencing just the opposite.
What are you experiencing exactly? Your titles are hiding behind 3D views? That should be simply a matter of selecting it and editing it's Settings so that it has a transparent background, but we've already been over that. Maybe you can upload a stripped version of a layout. Be sure to break the link (so to speak) in Drawing Usage first.

Cheers,
Link.