BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Twin Motion Characters

Eric Milberger
Advocate

I am having trouble finding sport characters for TwinMotion

For example a 2 Hockey Teams with Goalies - what format fbx?

I need Volleyball, Pickleball, Basketball and just general sports like lifting.

But where to find these. Any good sources?

Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner
14 REPLIES 14

TwinMotion is a pretty closed ecosystem, or at least pretty protected (just try to modify an existing shader's image files - you can't access them).  The 3D animated characters can do all kinds of things - but the selection drop-down is unique to each one. There is no 'table of contents' anywhere.  So, will this one have the option to talk on a cell phone?  Who knows.  Will the guy doing sit-ups be able to do push-ups?  You have to download him and try all option.  Plan on wasting a day - more if your internet is as slow as mine.  There is no documentation for adding your own animated characters, even if you had the software do design them.

But, static characters - there is a folder of them, and they actually look pretty decent  - are just 3D elements.  (Annoyingly, dumb 3D elements where, unlike the old Artlantis Studio, you cannot change the color of their clothes to whatever you like, etc.). TwinMotion lets you import as many models as you want... each shows up in the tree on the right side.  So, if you find a 3D human that you like, I'm not sure why you can't just import that as a model from any of the model formats that TwinMotion accepts?  I disagree with Ling here... while AC cannot handle high poly count things... TwinMotion doesn't even notice.  Just look at the plant objects, 3D grass, etc, all moving in the wind.

(BTW - you can save listening to the fans blast if you turn the wind to zero, and set the preferences to Low for everything while you set a scene.  A bunch of stuff won't really be visible until you're at least a Medium, but the interface will be fast and the computer quieter.)

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

If TM works the same as Lumion in this regard, there is a lot going on in the background regarding all the plants and such, a lot of "cheating". So using external plants such as xFrog trees impacts performance a lot more than any of the internal ones, at least it used to.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

I enjoy Twin Motion and all work quite well with my files,  The question is about people that are not available in TM like basketball players.  Need to build a team in the model but have already spent hours.

Eric,

I'm not sure why you keep beating on this issue here.  There's absolutely nothing we can do.  The lack of more TwinMotion compatible characters is entirely up to Epic Games and their somewhat closed ecosystem related to building new characters.  It isn't an Archicad issue.  If they are not responsive, then there's little hope... if you expect these characters to be animated. As stated before, if you just want a 3D static character, you can find one somewhere and just import it into your model and hope the polygon count  keeps things usable.

These are not Archicad issues, though, and this thread doesn't need to be woken up every few month to ask the same question again.  I feel your pain, but nothing we can do.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

I am reaching out to see how others are solving this issue.  The final products have to compete with our competition and All my competitors can do this.  /Just watched a video of a competitor with what I just requested and am hoping I am investing. My Time wisely.  I believe I am but with all the success I am hitting a couple very challenging issues.  And this is the #2 issue.

Learn and get certified!