Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

clean architectural plans using composites

alemanda
Advocate
Hi to all,
I'd like to use the composites to have a more detailed plan.
At the same time, using the live model, I'd like to be able to switch from a very detailed plan to a very simple clean architectural plan.
I tried to to some test playing with model view options but I didn't get the expected result. In fact, even overriding the cut fills and turning off the skin separator lines, the result presents still skin separator lines.
Look at the attached pdf file.
Any (automatic) workaround?
Is it a bug? It seems that the code to write the GDL for 2D plan is incomplete (it does the job partially).
I tried the demo of AC17 but it is the same.
Thanks
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)

32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620

Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440

www.almadw.it
13 REPLIES 13
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't think it is a bug.

The situation here is that only Skin Separator Line are not displayed as per the Model View Options settings. That is done correctly by the program.
However, those lines you see are not skin separator lines as they do not separate the skins of the same composite. They are lines between two elements and separate the skin of one element from the skin of another element, which is per the above definition is not a Skin Separator Line so the Model View Option setting does not affect it. Those lines would disappear only if the two skins would have the same Building Material (or Cut Fill in previous versions).
And the reason it worked in case of the Generic Wall is because in that case the Building Materials of the two Walls were the same.
So I am afraid those lines will stay if the joining skins have different Building Materials.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
alemanda
Advocate
So the answer is that it is not possible to have a clean architectural plan using the composites?
I think this is first feature an archicad user expects using the composites.
Detailed plans (with composites) are really important but the client needs to see clean plans because he doesn't take care of insulation, bricks, etc. etc (at least at the first stages of the design).

With archicad 17 it is possible to produce clean architectural sections while it is not possible to produce clean architectural plans. VERY STRANGE.

I think that with very slight modifications to the code the generates the 2D floor plan this feature can be "enabled" even in AC16 or AC15.
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

www.almadw.it
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You should create a wish for this.
Actually, I think this could be implemented as a new option in the Model View Options Dialog. It could be call "Show Structure Outlines Only" or something like that.
It could be a useful feature addition.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Rockstar
alemanda:

You could try using the Renovation Filter Options: set the New Elements to Override, and in the Renovation Override Styles set the New Elements Fill Type, so all new elements are using the same fill.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
alemanda
Advocate
David,
It doesn't work. Your workaround is based on the same concept of modelview options. The problem is how AC generates the cutlines and skinseparator lines. I hope they fix this annoying issue even in the AC16. Actually with AC you can chose to have a detailed plan or (excluding) to have a simple clean plan. It's not possible to switch between them. very strange for the best architectural bim modeler ...
I suppose it is very simple to fix. It would be sufficient to consider all the wall with a simple structure (just a cut fill for all the elements) and not considering the composites nor skinseparator.
Would it be possible, programmers?
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

www.almadw.it
alemanda
Advocate
laszlonagy wrote:
You should create a wish for this.
Actually, I think this could be implemented as a new option in the Model View Options Dialog. It could be call "Show Structure Outlines Only" or something like that.
It could be a useful feature addition.
YES!
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

www.almadw.it
alemanda
Advocate
... I thought about the wish. It is really.
But at the same time I wondered what's the sens of the mentioned combination of options "override cut fill" + "hide skin separator". I expect it is exactly the same sense of the wished "show structure outline only", it should be like this ...
Anyway I create a new item in the wish-list. Let's hope in a prompt hotfix.
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

www.almadw.it
alemanda
Advocate
alemanda wrote:
David,
.. The problem is how AC generates the cutlines and skinseparator lines...
and the problem is also the concept of "overriding". In fact actually AC overrides at the end of the generation of the plan view ... but it should override before generating the plan view (if I'm not worong AC 17 does it in this way in the sections' generations with override option enabled). In that case all the cut fills would be the same and the junctions would clean automatically (even with the existing code) ... it would be enough pass the "cutfill parameter" equal for all the elements before generation of the plan view ... in words it seems very simple to implement ... Reality is much more complicated for sure ...
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

www.almadw.it
alemanda
Advocate
Nobody has my need to produce clean architectural plans using the composites?
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

www.almadw.it