Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

plot vs. print using same machine setup

Jefferson
Participant
It's been a lousy morning, going to be a better afternoon and soon it'll be Miller time!

I have been struggling all morning with trying to get my HP DesignJet 430 [24"] to work as desired with Plotmaker [3.1], finally succeeded but not completely sure how, and why.

Trying to print landscape 24x18 using the same master layout for plot setup [which matches in the file>plot setup dialogue] my print area grows to two pages. When it occasionally showed that it would print 100% of my sheet [in the print dialoge box] it would almost always rotate the axis and leave a huge unused area below. The alternative is wasting an entire second sheet.

The connection between my computer and the DJ 430 is twice as fast through the print dialogue box as plot dialogue, and there is an option to set the print output to higher quality as well which is why I would prefer to go that way.

Can someone tell me why and or what is happening? I have attached screen shots for illustration.

master-+-plot-setup.jpg
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
3 REPLIES 3
Jefferson
Participant
print set up, keep in mind please his is 8.1 / 3.1
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Djordje
Ace
Printing and plotting margins are obviously different, or the driver presumes that you are using cut sheets and not a roll when you print.

Anyway, your Master has to be set to the paper size defined BY PRINTER, or BY PLOTTER. See whether the margins are the same in both cases, adjust to smaller printable area.

It is also always good to specify Oversize paper, as the actual printed sheet is then nearer to the wanted size.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Jefferson
Participant
Thanks for the response Djordje,

[And thanks Link for the email!]............... that's the thing that was so confusing for me was I have had the PLOT and PRINT setup run through the same machine with EXACTLY the same definitions/parameters.

I had also tried oversize, thinking logically that this setting would get me that much closer to a larger output size. No dice, perviously. Eventually by printing via publisher, [I had been skipping publisher and running publishing functions directley from navigator], to device settings instead of master layout, oversize in PRINT only, and auto-rotate, just for extra attempt at axis control, it started working correctly, AT LAST!
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory