Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

wall core dimensions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please excuse me if this has been answered ad-nauseum, but I could not find it:

How does one dimension to the centerline of a wall (core centerline)? I have trued every option in the auto- interior dimensioning, but I still find the width of the wall being dimensioned, not core to core (as framers want it in my jurisdiction). I am not interested in the dimensions of the different skins, just centerline of wall to centerline of wall.

Thanks.

Rip Weaver
Archicad 9 latest build
Mac OSX 10.3.9/G5/1.8 GHz
11 REPLIES 11
Djordje
Ace
Rip wrote:
How does one dimension to the centerline of a wall (core centerline)?
Make sure your reference line is the center line of the core, and dimension to endpoints of the walls. Don't trim or CTRL click afterwards, use marquee and Adjust - otherwise the dimensions will go away.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djorde-

I'm a bit dense-- could you explain more? How do you get a core centerline? That is probably what I am missing-- I can do it by making the "core" two equal width materials (2, 2" unit for a 4" core).

Thanks,

Rip Weaver
__archiben
Booster
have you got 'dimension core only of composite walls' turned on in your dimension settings?

see attached...

~/archiben
dimCore.jpg
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have that checked in the dimension set-up detail, but it only it works is if one creates a composite of two equal halves, so that the dim line measures from the center of the wall. This is only an issue with interior stuff. Framers in our area (and elsewhere?) want centerlines of interior walls. How do you guys handle this issue or is it unique to my area (Alabama USA)?

Rip Weaver
Town Landscape Architect
Town of Mt Laurel
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Rip,
I think what Djordje means is that you can have the reference line of any wall in the center, regardless of the composite. You can then set dimensions to the center point of the walls.

Cheers.
Ben
Refcent.jpg
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben-

you and Djordje are right-- that works well with manual insertion of dimensions. My question was aimed at the auto dimension features, which will not work. They will dimesion the outside and thickness of walls, not to centerline. With a complex house/building with many interior walls, dimensioning can be a real time eater, and the auto dim feature is wonderful (most times) for pull exterior dims, but not interior 9so far).

Rip

Rip Weaver
Archicad 9/G5/Mac OSX 10.3.9/1.8GHz
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Rip,
You are indeed right. The method that I mentioned, was manual dimensioning . I have tried it with Autodims and can't seem to get it to work the way you would like it to. As ben motioned you can dimension the core but, unfortunately not just the centerline.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
I'll point this out, though if it was me I probably wouldn't find it helpful. You can have a skin of zero thickness in the center of the composite, set only that skin to core, and then dimension to core only.

The core gets dimensioned as zero. It's really two ticks on top of each other. If you delete one, the zero text disappears, leaving one tick and the center-to-center string. (Weirdly, not all the zeroes actually get written.)

Hand-clearing the texts probably neutralizes (or worse) the benefit of Automatic Dimensioning. (I'm sure the framers would get a big kick out of the inevitable few zeroes that got missed. ) If AC knew not to write dimensions that were exactly zero, I think this could be a legitimate method.

At any rate, you should post center dimensioning as a wish. I'm glad our framers don't insist on such dims.
zerodims.jpg
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Barry Kelly
James wrote:
..... If AC knew not to write dimensions that were exactly zero, I think this could be a legitimate method.......

In OPTIONS > PREFERENCES > DIMENSIONS there is an option to not show whole zeros for linear dimensions.
Does this help?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11