Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Bug: Updating parameters of an object saved as a subtype breaks objects using that subtype

s_p_b
Booster

As noted in the title, if you create a new GDL object, check 'save as subtype', create another object that uses this subtype to inherit a set of parameters, and then make any changes to top-level object, any objects that use that subtype immediately break. The 'Details' panel of the object editor will display <Unknown Subtype>.

s_p_b_0-1727051613322.png

I'm putting this forward as a bug, which is easily reproducible. (I'm using Archicad 27, version 5030 USA Fulll).

While it's not the worst thing to re-select the sub-type for one object, if you're developing a larger hierarchy of related objects, it becomes a real pain, as you need to find, open, and edit every one of them.

Although the subtype system is described in the manual as being primarily a system for organizing objects and defining common behaviors and functions, I would argue that they also effectively implement interfaces for GDL macros, making them more interchangeable, and also make it easier to enforce consistent parameter names across hierarchies of macros. This is especially useful if you're using the parameter script of a macro to set VALUES lists for callers. Would be really nice to have this fixed. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Peter Nagy-Barta
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

There is a workaroud:
Try to reopen the object(s) GDL editor, the '<Unknown Subtype>' should be the correct one

Peter Nagy-Barta
Senior Software Engineer