BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.
SOLVED!

HELP! I need a customized story marker for elevation and section

Dine
Participant

I tried to create a story marker and when I load it to my elevation settings, it is not showing. 

This is how I created the story marker. 

1. create the shape and text I needed. 

2. Select all, then click file - libraries and objects - save selection as - drawing title - story marker. 

Please help me to create a story marker. 

The image below is what I need for my elevation. 

Screenshot 2024-01-23 174630.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

What you did resulted in the creation of a Drawing Title object, not a Story Marker object.

To create a Story Marker object, you have to know GDL scripting relatively well.

To start, you should save a copy of the only Story Marker object available by default in the Archicad Library called "Built-in Story Marker":

1. Activate the Window > Toolbars > Edit GDL Library Parts menu command to display the corresponding toolbar.

2. Click the Open Object by Subtype command on the toolbar. This will open the Subtype Hierarchy Dialog, where you can select the GDL Subtype you want to use as a basis for your Object.

3. Find the General GDL Object > Documentation Element > Drawing Symbol > Marker > Story Marker > Built-in Story Marker item, select it, and click the Open button to open it in the GDL Editor.

StoryMarker.jpg

4. Use the File > Save As menu command to save a copy of it in the Embedded Library of the Project.

StoryMarker-2.jpg

5. Modify the GDL of this Object however you want and save the changes.

6. The Story Marker Object will be available for use in the Section/Elevation Settings Dialog's Story Levels panel.

StoryMarker-3.jpg

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

What you did resulted in the creation of a Drawing Title object, not a Story Marker object.

To create a Story Marker object, you have to know GDL scripting relatively well.

To start, you should save a copy of the only Story Marker object available by default in the Archicad Library called "Built-in Story Marker":

1. Activate the Window > Toolbars > Edit GDL Library Parts menu command to display the corresponding toolbar.

2. Click the Open Object by Subtype command on the toolbar. This will open the Subtype Hierarchy Dialog, where you can select the GDL Subtype you want to use as a basis for your Object.

3. Find the General GDL Object > Documentation Element > Drawing Symbol > Marker > Story Marker > Built-in Story Marker item, select it, and click the Open button to open it in the GDL Editor.

StoryMarker.jpg

4. Use the File > Save As menu command to save a copy of it in the Embedded Library of the Project.

StoryMarker-2.jpg

5. Modify the GDL of this Object however you want and save the changes.

6. The Story Marker Object will be available for use in the Section/Elevation Settings Dialog's Story Levels panel.

StoryMarker-3.jpg

Hi Lazlo. is there a way to edit this WITHOUT having to use too much GDL?

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Unfortunately no, you would have to delve into its GDL script to understand what does what and modify it to your specification.

Thank you Laszlo so much for this! But I am still lost in modifying it and creating a custom story marker head. 

Lingwisyer
Guru

Is the "custom" bit of your storey marker just the fact that you have got the storey name and the elevation listed above each other?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Botonis
Advisor

Try the Indigo Figs Story Marker.

You can add as many stories as you want.

THIS IS A FANTASTIC TOOL.

https://www.indigofigs.com/story-marker/

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.
Learn and get certified!