General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Graphisoft public roadmap - Follow-up conversation

Gordana Radonic
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dear Community, 

We're excited to have published our roadmap!

We'd love to hear your thoughts and questions. Please feel free to use this thread for discussion.

Graphisoft Insights announcement: https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Insights/Graphisoft-public-roadmap/ba-p/375281

Public roadmap on the Graphisoft website.

Thank you.

Gordana Radonić

Community Manager

316 REPLIES 316

8_......and improved MVO for Zone stamps (information displayed).

Apple iMac Pro with macOS Sonoma, AC 5.0 to 27 INT and GER, all the latest
snow
Mentor

When we list aims to a road map...today, I add just one ting... and this is...

...that in sections and elevation uncut lines in the background doesn't cover any more cut lines of the foreground... too often the case... like her again, and again

snow_0-1683184252895.png

ARCHICAD for Future

archicad versions 8-27 | mac os 13 | win 10
mthd
Mentor

Archicad is a vast 3D BIM system and not everything in it is going to be on a par with other CAD systems out there. Other CAD products will have things in them that will appear to be “Dinosaurs” in comparison to Archicad as well. There will never be one CAD product that will outdo them all. That simply is not realistic. What they decide is very urgent to work in Archicad, is not a simple process to determine. It shouldn’t be just because other CAD can do this and that but more about what us as the users require to get our work done simply and efficiently. We will all have our different opinions about that as well.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

@mthd wrote:

It shouldn’t be just because other CAD can do this and that but more about what us as the users require to get our work done simply and efficiently. 

And that sums up where Graphisoft need to go with their Roadmap. The whole design process hasn't evolved that much since someone drew some lines in the sand. We are in the business of communicating our Client's need to the Constructor/Builder. We don't need three tools to do one task, we need workflows that deliver with as little complexity as possible. Developing software to address an infinite number of modelling possibilities whilst still not having reliable view, annotation & dimensioning tools is kind of missing the point.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Hi DGSketcher

I completely agree with you we don't need more tools but more or less generic tools that allow us to solve a wide range of problems in archicad the famous "workaround method" which works fine.

Concerns the introduction of technology in archicad
for example for the NURBS technology (if this kind of technology is planned) I see this technology introduced in all the archicad tools in priority in the shell tool, in the tools option menu we will have two polygonal generation modes "Classic, Automatic (NURBS)" with various possibilities and warnings on the use of both solutions.
it's like having a hierarchical system at the tool code level

I imagine this code-level hierarchy system in Attributes and Properties too 😉
Shell tool
               >Timeline (for 4D management)
                                 > Algorithm choice code ( Nurbs or Classic )
                                                   >Tool option (according to the previous algorithm)

the automatic method is supposed to completely free the tool from all modeling constraints and a great decrease in performance in return, and it is the user who will choose to sacrifice performance for modeling freedom, and this will allow graphisoft developers optimize the Classic Method to obtain the same modeling possibilities without constraining the user in his modeling 😉

AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27
mthd
Mentor

Looks like our plan documentation needs much work from what you wrote above DGS. I didn’t put Dimensions, Annotations, Views or GUI wishes on my list above. Are you able to direct us to a specific wish list that you are pointing to above ? If anything was super urgent it would definitely be in these categories and absolutely everyone of us would benefit from an upgrade addressing these areas.

I don’t know of a 2D wishlist & I have seen enough of how GS develop to know it would be pointless. I have made various suggestions over the years, some detailed, but these days as I have suggested above GS need to carry out a general review of all the CAD basics.

Some examples...

Apart from the unsettling instability of 2D dimensions over the last two versions, it can be hard work doing basic dimensions on 3D Document axonometric views. I HAVE to use this process on a regular basis and it takes significantly longer than in 2D.

Why are the text settings / formatting dialogs all different for text, labels & dimensions?

Why cant we assign font styles on a project that can be updated in all drawings from one setting?

If I want to add to my dimension text I have to make two pointless clicks before I can start editing.

The Detail tool should work as live sections by now.

It should be possible to assign Styles to elevations and sections, instead we are left trying to identify mismatched settings between views.

Elevations and sections should be merged, and they should have a hierarchical tree in the Project map that allows cloning of all or part of the tree.

Why after four years does the macOS still have Dark Mode GUI elements that are impossible or difficult to read?

There doesn’t seem to be logical focussed workflow from the Project Info to Publishing and everything in between, but I don’t think that is one that will be resolved quickly or to everyone’s approval. 

Personally I don’t think that the Roadmap - Ideas, even scratches the surface of the many requests that have been made to improve the day to day use of AC over the last 40 years. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Regarding dimensions, I once worked with Chief Architect that had true associativity where editing the dim would change the length of the element associated. I could select a wall and walls connected to it and they would move together in the desired direction by editing the dim. It was very helpful. I am surprised that AC has not yet do that.

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)

Me too CAV6-X10. Also Revit and many other CAD applications work similarly. I have ranted and raved about this being implemented in Archicad for years now. To me, that is the most urgent priority for Archicad above and beyond absolutely everything else.

“I have made a suggestion that they can place Archicad in an automatic measure mode, that is whenever you click an element the measure tracking pallet pops up automatically and gives you a relative measurement to the nearest reference point. Then you just input the new distance and wham it moves to the desired location.”

And yes the dimensions can also be associative and move the elements that they locate as well. 

For those not familiar with how Chief Architect works and to help explain what we mean above, please see this video link.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5429/positioning-and-resizing-objects-using-dimensions.h...

Right now, I just wait one second till the blue location circle (snap guide) decides to show up and then make my moves. I must find out how to get the blue circle to show up faster in the settings dialogue lol.

I'd vote no for the dimensions adjusting the elements, but then I have never used a program that has it.

Just my opinion.

The snap delay is in your Work Environment.

But if you set it to too small a time delay, you might get frustrated the snap references keep appearing all of the time.

Or you can leave a short delay and then just use the keyboard shortcut to activate instantly - best of both worlds.

BarryKelly_0-1683689959200.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

What would be a more acceptable delay time, 0.5 of a second ?

Excellent tips BTW.

They key for me with Archicad is to work with it and the snap guides from version 19 help out allot. With Archicad we can get down to finer level of 3D & 2D control than you cannot get with Chief Architect.

Chief Architect is faster for cookie cutter homes because it’s built like a modular component building system. As soon as you need to do something like slanted walls and a higher level of complex modelling, it slows down because you need to start using many work arounds to get the shape that you require. You can easily do the more regular shape buildings of the past and present but not to the degree of Archicad.

Sure Archicad has it’s limits but at least we can import from Rhino (NURBS) based shapes, even if Archicad is not a NURBS based system. 

I'd vote yes, I have used a program that uses dimension adjustment and it is amazingly fast, effective and intuitive -- no learning curve. It doesn't seem to affect any other feature and certainly does not cutter the plan. It is especially useful in laying out new plans when you not sure of all the dimensions or the affect of one on the other. All this can be done or fixed in minutes or less. Really, the only advantage in Archicad is the multi-story adjustment which I seldom use.

But, to be sure, to add this in Archicad now would involve quite a bit of programing and time. Considering that the present system works OK, even though is quite a bit slower and not very intuitive. it is still acceptable. IOW, Not going to happen

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

Hi Gerry, I have read your posts on Chieftalk in the past. Yes I absolutely agree about CA being good for a quick concept model up option in the US particularly. Other Archicad users will import a DWG file right from Chief into Archicad to finish up the documentation process. I prefer to just use Archicad now because where I am from the CI tool add ons are specific for my region. I might still use CA here and there when I need to.

I am sure they will speed up Archicad and make it easier to use but in their own special unique way.

Press "q" and snap-point highlights instantly.

I can imagine that with an update of that feature: Distance Guides for positioning elements – Roadmap – Graphisoft

the interactive dims may come.

AC25, BIMCloud, Windows

@Florian99 wrote:

I can imagine that with an update of that feature: Distance Guides for positioning elements – Roadmap – Graphisoft

the interactive dims may come.

Kind of.

It is not the actual dimensions that will be interactive.

It will be a set of smart guides radiating from the object.

A bit like the collision detection system in modern cars.

It will detect the distance in a certain direction from the element to the next closest element if I remember correctly.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

From the picture in the coming soon part on the public roadmap. That’s about the only little crumb I am looking forward to maybe getting right now ? I hope that list is not exhaustive because if it is, there is not much on R&D list or in the idea pool that I will actually need or use. I fully understand that Architects working on large commercial projects need those things but for me, I can’t afford to pay out SSA fees for a few little crumbs. As a one man operation I can’t afford to subsidise the commercial world’s Archicad infrastructure applications. 

Dear Graphisoft, you need to finish the job with the Archicad’s basics first before you start feeding the commercial world’s insatiable desire for other inter-operative CAD solutions. You will eventually get eaten alive by Autodesk when Archicad’s basics are not quite up to scratch or on par with Revit just yet. Try 75% on the basics inside Archicad for now as I predict you will probably get outdated very quickly with the present roadmap.

I am afraid that same group of users will breath their dissatisfaction with next version as well ?

Edit: Approximately 9 out of the 26 coming soon items are directly related to the basics inside Archicad or about 34%. I think you could look at doubling that at least in order to catch up and overtake Autodesk Revit and to stop users from moving over to Revit Architecture. I don’t know what other professional users think but it would be good to know ? 

With current archicad pace: that is, trying to implement systems that guys like Revit have had, for better or worse, since many years ago,     and current Revit pace: which is already toying with AI generative design, im afraid archicad is ALREADY obsolete.

But there is no shame in being obsolete if you are still functional and can deliver.  But, if you are obsolete while breaking/ignoring/bloating the basics trying not to be obsolete, you are in for trouble.

Hi Barry 

and if the real dimension manages to communicate with these intelligent guides I would call it "interactive dimensions", the manual modification of the real dimension would imply a subtraction or an addition between the real dimension and the interactive dimension and we can speak of intelligence, the result applies to the interactive dimension

AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27

Hey abdelaziz, they look very familiar with the anchor at one end and the arrow at the other. They look like the stretch modifiers in the complex profile manager to me. How they behave will be clearly seen very soon if they make it into 27 or if you are fortunate enough to be a Beta tester, you will find out next month.

The Q key is the default for turning it on sooner or off if you don’t want the blue circle

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
mthd
Mentor

The funny thing is, that simple things like that are being overlooked and are not too difficult for them to fix. Surely that should be the priority in any CAD software application you would think ? Focus Focus Focus on the basics before you start adding all the bells and whistles or even tweaking the bells & whistles. Less is more in many instances, who wouldn’t be happy if the basics inside Archicad received significant emphasis in every release ? What percentage would you allocate to those very necessary things at least 25% ? Anyway that’s up to them and for me it’s back to the literal drawing board if I didn’t need stronger glasses now 🤓.