cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Help! I'm new to ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am currently considering to train myself up with ArchiCAD, and i'm on here to see if anyone has any advice at all to give me regarding the software.

I am a 22 year old draftsman in the restaurant / bar / servery counters and kitchen industry, designing and engineering bespoke projects for our clients. I have seven years direct experience.

I have only ever worked with AutoCAD, drawing in .dwg format, and i have worked with the CNC tooling software Punch5.

I want to make the step forward using a software like ArchiCAD, to develop realistic computerized images of what the bars, restaurants and servery counters would look like so our clients have a better understanding of the interior design. So its not so much the problem with the engineering side of it, more just the interior look of it, but the engineering side would probably come in handy in the future.

I have included below a picture of small design of mine, which i found someone who 'i think' used software like ArchiCAD to create.

So basically, i would like to learn how to create images like the one below from AutoCAD .dwg format drawings.

I have a PowerBook G4 with MacOS 10.4.8 and will probably upgrade to a Intel MacBook Pro as soon as they decide to throw blu-ray on it!

Any Information would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Daniel

Draft01.jpg
3 REPLIES 3
Dwight
Newcomer
I'm assuming that you want to invest in making top quality renderings.

The image you posted is from a rudimentary model that any 3D application could easily achieve using DWG drawings as a basis.

Archicad is a complex and powerful application that manages gigantic architectural projects. The BIM concept behind Archicad is more than models - users rely on Archicad's data management capability to inform them about their project. You don't really need this capability.

However, Archicad can easily do cabinetry type work, altho you'll be challenged making chamfered glass shelf nosings and other "softeners" that make close-up renderings look more realistic, as well as lacking top quality entourage elements.

Archicad's built-in LightWorks engine lacks radiosity capability - it is intended for utility-type renderings of basic scenes that aren't too demanding - and to do work like you showed requires lots of practice with the LightWorks application. Many Archicad users buy an Add-On rendering application called Artlantis that makes above-average renderings more easily from the getgo.

I suggest that you find another option: a simpler modeling tool and a better rendering application: something like FormZ that has radiosity capability, or really bite the bullet and investigate 3DS Max, where there is a large illustration community and plenty of top-quality entourage available. 3Ds MAX is really the broadest product available and won't be a barrier to your efforts other than the time you invest learning it.
Dwight Atkinson
__archiben
Booster
daniel - if you do decide to go the archicad route, consider investing in some proper training sessions. as dwight said, archicad is a complex and powerful application. it also requires thinking in a different way from autocad. if you intend doing the training on your own you may find that you will get frustrated quickly when you can't accomplsh things that you know to be possible . . .

call Bite ( www.bite.co.uk ) who are based reasonably close to you in nottingham and enrol on their 4-day beginner course with adrian or howard. it will be worth it and pay off a hundred times over in the long run . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for that guys.
Ok, i looked at 3ds Max, i'm little confused, does Autodesk or Discreet make this software? i can find a Mac compatible version called Discreet 3ds Max but i'm not sure if its the same thing? and i dont think Autodesk do a Mac version. What is the difference between these two?

Also could you please recommend other softwares like 3ds Max, maybe one especially designed for Macs?

So with software like these, i will be able to import a dwg file and work from that to create my computerized image?

Many Thanks again for youre time and knowledge.
Daniel