2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024
SOLVED!

Enhanced Design Options - add common elements feature

Jake_White
Contributor

I am a huge fan of Design Options.

Please consider adding a common elements feature to the option sets feature. So as major options can have minor iterations without the excessive need for duplication of elements.

Duplicating elements for minor iterations is not a difficult thing to do, but it creates significant work, when a change is required to all minor iterations within elements which are common to all.

I suspect this is something which may be being considered already?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

I will even try to give you an example.

Your house has 4 design options for different kitchens.

Option 1 & 2 have an island bench that is the same.

Option 3 has a different island bench and option for doesn't have an island bench at all.

You create an island bench option and place it in its own option set.

You create an option for kitchen 1 and kitchen 2 and each of these are in their own option set, but do not have an island bench included.

Kitchen 3 is in its own option set and has a different island bench included with that option.

Kitchen 4 is also in its own option set.

The combination for kitchen 1 includes the kitchen 1 option and the island bench option.

The combination for kitchen 2 includes the kitchen 2 option and the island bench option.

The combination for kitchen 3 includes just the kitchen 3 option.

The combination for kitchen 4 includes just the kitchen 4 option.

No duplication at all.

And you have only modelled the 'common' island bench once.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly

Why not have that common element as its own option in its own option set.

You only need to model it once.

Then when you create your option combinations, you can include that option when required.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

@Barry Kelly wrote:

Why not have that common element as its own option in its own option set.

You only need to model it once.

Then when you create your option combinations, you can include that option when required.

Barry.

Yes @Jake_White I was posting the same suggestion as @Barry Kelly just did.
And in general the "Main Model" is also a place holder for these "common" elements shared by / related to elements of Design Options.

Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course

Hi Barry,

That certainly works for the time being. But I think it would be advantageous to have a named a feature. Particularly if common elements could be coloured differently in the 3D window, so these can be seen relative to the minor iterations making pushing elements in and out of common sets super easy.

Jake

Thanks Francois,

I am working on lots of refurbishment work so most of my data remains in the 'main model' set as you suggest.

Love the dyslexia tag!

Jake

Solution

I will even try to give you an example.

Your house has 4 design options for different kitchens.

Option 1 & 2 have an island bench that is the same.

Option 3 has a different island bench and option for doesn't have an island bench at all.

You create an island bench option and place it in its own option set.

You create an option for kitchen 1 and kitchen 2 and each of these are in their own option set, but do not have an island bench included.

Kitchen 3 is in its own option set and has a different island bench included with that option.

Kitchen 4 is also in its own option set.

The combination for kitchen 1 includes the kitchen 1 option and the island bench option.

The combination for kitchen 2 includes the kitchen 2 option and the island bench option.

The combination for kitchen 3 includes just the kitchen 3 option.

The combination for kitchen 4 includes just the kitchen 4 option.

No duplication at all.

And you have only modelled the 'common' island bench once.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Yes @Jake_White our projects are also 80%+ As-Builts for permit approval & Renovation type projects.
Perhaps this post & download BIMx Guide model will give you some more ideas of what Design Options are capable of: 
AC27 Experimental - Design Options - Renovation - Phasing

I was tested & told as an adult that I was dyslexic since a very young age and a lot of things started making sense. So I managed to take what previously was a "challenge" and re-framed into a superpower. I am glad the link in my signature can spread awareness of how our brains are just wired differently. Dyslexic people are actually very strong in both left & right brain thinking. Explore the link, it's very insightful. Thanks for noticing.

Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course

I will get to grips with your article on the topic. Looks interesting.

Likewise, diagnosed in teens and more recent diagnosis of ADHD. And I agree, that for the most part both are a superpower.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!