2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

Improved Distance Guides

Illes Papp
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

New, improved Distance Guides is no more experimental and available for everyone by default. It comes with the following new features:

1. Context sensitive Stretch & Move - Distance Guides recognize the longitudinal and perpendicular directions of beams and walls and offer stretch and move respectively based on the context.
  2. Relink Distance Guides freely - You can relink Distance Guides to virtually any supported points or edges that you can snap to during work.
  3. Door / Window Nominal Size and Axis Support - Distance guides support nominal size settings of doors and windows and will link by default based on these settings. You can also switch Distance Guides to link to Axis instead of the nominal sizes, better supporting workflows and design stages when that is the most important input.

For more information please visit the following link: 

Improved Distance Guides - Graphisoft Community

Looking forward to having your much appreciated feedbacks, questions and insights.

Illés Papp
GRAPHISOFT Senior Product Manager
16 REPLIES 16

I'am still missing distance guide settings tab, where you can ajust what elements or layers should be ignored when snapping distance guides. For example ignore my hand drawn (c/c) grid system. Tool have potential but need more user settings.

GRAPHISOFT BIM Manager Training Week attendee
ArchiCAD v9 - v26 INT / NOR (5002)
cpu i5-12600K @ 5.0Ghz, ram 32GB, gpu 1060 GTX
ssd NVMe, Windows 11
ArchiCAD Discord channel: https://discord.gg/QdWxSJ33

mthd
Ace

Extend the end of nib walls is a cool new function. 

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
outpostarc
Contributor

It would be so great if there was an equal function for the advanced distance guides to center a wall for instance.

Jeliszej Korcsak
Contributor

I can see that distance guides only work in the global XY coordinate space. Is there a way, to rotate them? For example if my building is drawn at an angle, then the guides are useless. Also it would be nice to have the guides show distance perpendicular to the nearest wall (or other element).

In the picture you can see a work in progress drawing where I have absolutely no means to use the guides in a helpful way.

Jeliszej Korcsák
Architect, BIM Manager | ArchiCAD 27 HUN Build 4030 on Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Hi @Jeliszej Korcsak, does this function in the video below help the process when the plan is oriented at the correct axis with the project origin ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3xb5GN2Ep4

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Hi Jeliszej Korcsák,

If the building is global at an angle you can rotate the view.

Capture d’écran 2024-07-14 à 09.10.11.png

Capture d’écran 2024-07-14 à 09.11.32.png

  

ArchiCad 3.43 to 26
MacOS Monterey

Hi @Jeliszej Korcsak@BrunoH,

Regarding your concern I think DGs are working even diagonally without rotating the view as follow,

Screenshot 2024-07-14 115338.pngScreenshot 2024-07-14 115413.png

AC 27 INT 5030/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

This would mean that I will have to rotate my view for each segment of a building that has a different orientation. (in your exaple you have a rectangle rotated, which is not the case I am bothered by).  It would make more sense to have the guides snap perpendicularly to the walls around.

Jeliszej Korcsák

You are right, in case of openings, the guides are working along the wall reference line. However in this case an other problem pops up: I couldn't reset the guide endpoints to the other side of the wall or any other junction. Your pictures are showing the problem really well - see how the distance from the wall junction is measured from an absolutely useless point?

Jeliszej Korcsák

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!