2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

Label Frame Shapes

James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi All,

To help support Keynote workflows, we have introduced new Label frame shapes to the Text/Autotext based label. These shapes include Circle, Rounded Rectangle and Pill - along with the existing Rectangle. All frame shapes can be set to fit text, or have a fixed size, with settings stored in Favourites.

Along with these improvements, Favourites and pickup/inject now stores custom formatting (ie various fonts, text colours and sizes) within Labels.

For more information:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Technology-Preview/Improved-Text-Label-options/ta-p/6...

James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
11 REPLIES 11
danielk
Booster

Hi,

Are there any plans to introduce more shapes any time soon? I like these shape options, they cover some of our needs, but there are some other shapes we use for our keynotes (e.g. the "pointed rectangle" shape).

I see that there are an astounding number of options in the "Dimension Label" (see picture attached). It would be great if these would be added to the Frame options of the Autotext label!

Thanks!

Hi Daniel,

Which pointed rectangle version would you most use? If we add more shapes, we'd like to concentrate our effort on those most requested/needed.

Thanks.

James.

James Badcock

Hi @James B 

I agree with @danielk, it's expected that we would need more that the 4 current shapes and the extended shapes available in the Dimension Label is a good place to go for more options. You would know best how easy or difficult it would be for your team to transfer & add the same shapes to the Autotext Label?

But if I answer your question about which we would use most, I've marked those I would use 1st before the other options with a green star in this image.

AC28 TP Label shapes 2.png

Then looking at the Triangles, Pentagons, Hexagons & Octagons, they are essentially just rotated versions.

If we had an added option to Rotate any of these Label Frame, it would totally open more options on our drawings & your Dev team could only build the base shapes. Is this doable?

The problem in this case with the Label Rotation settings is that it actually rotates the Text with the frame following the text rotation, which don't always read well on drawings. So having separate rotation control over the text & the shape would give us a main group of shapes with variation via rotation.

And being able to choose the Line type for the frame would also expand uniquely readable / identifiable labels on drawings.

AC28 TP Label shapes Rotation.png

Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course
danielk
Booster

Hi,

@James B , we specifically use the frames that are already available, and the only thing we miss is the "Pointed rectangle 90°" frame.

But it would be useful to have the other options as well, both because:

- some offices use different shapes, and

- even my office might need to use a different marker on certain projects in the future, and it would be great to have more options available.

I think @Francois_MCD summed it up quite well. But, generally speaking, the only "special" frame missing is the pointed rectangle, and I feel like the triangle is pretty common as well. And once you have the triangle developed, the rest of the regular polygons should be just a rinse and repeat of that (pentagons, hexagons, octagons).

Thanks Daniel.

I haven't seen many examples of every shape in the Symbol Label being used actively, hence the question on what we should prioritise in the future. Thanks for the feedback on the pointed rectangle.

James.

James Badcock

Gotcha @James B 🤙 

From this end, we only had these shapes on the Dimension Label with limit to what it can call out.

Myself & I expect others will now jump at the Autotext Label's new capabilities and use it to communicate more creatively & more effective. So more options will be welcome. 

If we must limit the priorities, I'll then say please add the Pointed Rectangle 90, Pentagon, Hexagon Rotated & Square Rotated?

Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course

Hi Francois.

I see you've marked all shapes (except diamond) in the current Symbol Label as being the most important for your workflow (with the green star). Does every project actively use all these shapes? Can you help explain what each shape represents in for your documentation? Any shape not shown here but you've had to work workarounds to create?

Thanks.

James Badcock

Maybe the ability to create our own custom label. Such as a rectangle with the left face heavy or somethign along those lines

Michael W
Contributor

I agree with deveopling more shapes but then we have to wait for GS to make the shape and despite their best efforts, is never exactly what we want.

It would be good to be able to create custom label frames without having to create a custom label. A GDL part that could be selected from the label input window (think custom door panel but smarter). Can we not have a GDL subtype under the Documentation Subtype tree to create company/region-specific frames that automatically fit the text content? This could also be the environment where we define the list drop-down menu image and save it with the part (a feature I wish we could do with a custom door panel).

Ideally, custom components for all 2d documentation elements would be a handy feature ie custom arrowheads, and custom dimension ticks. Some examples: 

• Label frame changes shape when linked to an existing element vs a new element; 
  • Similarly, a dimension tick changes to the nominated shape when dimensioning an existing or new element. Also changes when dimensioning to the centre of an element or the structural components of any element.
  • An arrowhead could automatically change to a 'dot' when dimensioning to the edge of an element or the surface.

Most of this can be done with a custom label, but then we manage a long list of labels that dont have the same ease functionality and crossreferencing that the 'in-built' text labels do. Its a bit of a departure from the original post but I think its a part of a bigger feature that GS could consider.

13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900HX 2.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 4050 Laptop GPU 32GB, 2 TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD
1X32" (3840x2160), WIN11 PRO ENG, AC9-AC27

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!