cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

My thoughts after using Archicad for years

PrzemN
Contributor

How about “now for someting completly different” idea for new Archicad version: let's get rid of a lot of old annoyances and stuff going sometimes deeply to the past. Here's few as the begining of discussion:

- why we have 3 ( or even more ) different ways of how the settings work? changing dimension units / changing pen colors / changing model view options / changing layer combinations. Sometimes you have to write using keyboards, sometimes it changes after applying settings, sometimes you need to apply setting, change and update etc. It is a mad programmers idea

- why we have an totally outdated 3d window settings, going back from Archicad 5? 4? 1?: we can’t move a view in the setting window, it is not showing proper way when you have your working plan rotated. How about a new option to setting few cameras the easy way - without the mess it is right now, like in other 3d programs. And – as we are already in the 3d window: why we still have to do the resolution trick to save 3d window content as a good quality jpg? 

- tools, tools - I could write about it for hours. Maybe it is a good time for reviewing things we got? like – there are slabs flat from bottom and with the slope on the top. Or roofs, or walls with different color / texture on all its sides etc, etc. 

- How about looking how tools works in other 3d programs and making some adjustments? Like making the morph as easy to work with - as it is in sketchup? Why stretching library element in 3d window is sometimes killing my high end pc ( GUI, but not when using keyboard shortcut )? Who made a grid tool working as it is? How about showing terrain levels as a curved lines? Adding a thickness to it? Putting a path or a road easily? etc, etc

- Why some commands work in some places and some are not? Yes, I can change a wall angle in section but how about ... just rotating it?

- How about making everything adjustable for our company needs, like customizing project info ( not only adding, but also removing unused, so there is less mess )? How about having a possibility to import toolbars from earlier Archicad version without messing with new commands in menu?

- Talking about reviewing old stuff - how about making old roof / wall / addons like accessories actually easy and worth using? Has it been EVER updated? It looks like a remorse from the deep past, left nobody knows why. There is a lot such a things. Copied and pasted.

-  How about maybe making a ecodesigner actually a valid tool especially now, when we have “green deal” incoming? I know it has now a different name and works as a tool, but it is basically the same program

- Why renovation filters can’t work for building materials and composite structures? like changing the material thickness, or maybe the whole material? Yes, I would like to easily show that I added 5cm of insulation to existing wall. 

- why we can’t schedule EVERYTHING the same way? Almost everything we use to make our projects has a width, height, thickness, view from top, side, etc. But it seems not for archicad programmers. We have different sets of attributes for almost every existing element. Why?

- How about reviewing and making every tool or addon - like paramo - more usefull? or killing it and saying that it was a dead end? How about - not limiting Python API? Maybe giving us some options to add usefull automation the easy way? ( imagine automatic dimensioning, that … works ). I am pretty sure there is a lot of incredibly talented Archicad users, that can improve this program – if only you’ll give them a chance by not making it a secret wisdom.

- Imagine having the possibility to make connection between - let's say - 2 walls manually when Archicad algorithm has some other ideas how it should look.

- Textures, libraries ... and other old friends. We'll met again in Archicad 35 and I am pretty sure in Archicad 50 if I am living long enough. Maybe then adding few high quality librabry objects will not kill my new quantum computer

- why ... ( put those little things that make you crazy, everyday you are using Archicad 

Each year we get an update with almost nothing interesting for ARCHITECTS, with added half useful tools, that we already know will have to be changed ( like this time - keynotes ). I have nothing against testing things and changing it later - if only it wouldn’t be sometimes the only updates we got.

Have a nice weekend guys

16 REPLIES 16
Miha Nahtigal
Advocate

I can relate to almost all of your points. I have a feeling that GS aims to introduce something new with each AC release mainly for the sake of public relations and flashy announcements. Unfortunately, these new features often end up being half-baked, buggy, and practically unusable. The MEP module is a perfect example of this.

Another concern is that GS seems to be pushing AC to be a jack-of-all-trades, covering structural engineering, MEP engineering, energy analysis, and more. This might even work if the modules had evolved since their release, but they haven’t. For example, I don’t think Ecodesigner has seen any significant updates in nearly a decade.  Or renovation that does not work for components. Or design options. Or render engines (redshift). 

All these topics have already been discussed within this forum for years. Not much seems to change. I have a hope that alternatives like blenderbim or freecad will evolve during next 6 years of transition period from user owned software to rental licences. I am certainly keeping an eye on that

BIMquants.comBETA - Quantities and Costs Estimation in Archicad - BETA testers needed.

I totally agree… example of MEP 

In my office we started MEP work in archicad V23 onwards  thinking it will be fully develop in next 2 years. (Infact with v21 we had bought MEP module separately) 

but today also  its under development. Its roadmap is good but its v v v slow.. 

DDS i had tried by purchasing its 5 licences .. but lac of support we had to look for alternative. 

We forcefully moved to platforms like AX3000 which are much smarter in MEP. 

AJAY_T
spastor
Contributor

Totally agree, they offer minor annual improvements; it's only for marketing purposes and to justify the charging of an SSA/Forward with a shocking increase over the last two years.

I will continue using my current license V.27 for now while I look for alternatives, not in a hurry but steadily.

AC_Cat
Contributor

I agree with you ! 

Matt Schneider
Contributor

Are you looking to move on from archicad? A colleague mentioned Vectorworks and I took a look a number of month ago.  It looked good and I downloaded a trial version.  I felt like it was not as intuitive and it didn't perform as well as Archicad in my opinion.  The Landscape Design looks really positive as well.  I recently looked at Vectorworks 2025 and a lot of the new features look really nice and wish Graphisoft would focus on architecture and not trying to attract engineers.  I am so invested in Archicad at this point since I have been using it since at least version 6, I don't know if I would actually make a jump.

mthd
Ace

The only improvements that will eventually come are outlined in the roadmap. I am not sure how many of those issues will be covered for us by these future improvements ? As we all know It is a gradual process and Archicad is what it is for now.

If you can find a program that will do all what you have said above in an efficient manner, then please inform us.

I think if Graphisoft could focus more on the direct Architectural tools and develop them, then others could specialize on those things that should only be add ons.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
scom570
Booster

That's a great rant. A couple of things to add tho.

My feeling is that Nemetschek is missing a huge opportunity here.  They've got Allplan, Archicad and Vectorworks (an I think an interoperability thing with Trimble).  They need to get these "brands" out of their silos once in a while and working together for the betterment of all three platforms.  Everyone knows that once you commit to  one of the platforms from Autodesk or Nemetschek it is very hard to extricate yourself from them. 

Autodesk - not much better.  We invested $ in training to move to Revit but everyone hated it so we backed off and doubled down on Archicad.  The tools on so many of their offerings work completely differently which is really annoying.  They are not doing any better in my opinion in addressing the needs of Architects.

I am wondering if any architects are left at GS sometimes?  Maybe they have too many engineers over there.

On the positive side, AC teaming up with Twinmotion was a game changer for us. I hardly ever use the 3D windows anymore.

If you work in Teamwork at all, we suggest not using VW, as it is not as workable as ArchiCAD. We used VW for over 15 years and switched to AC, and we would never look back due to this Teamwork issue. All software we use has net positives and negatives; one just has to figure out how to leverage the present tools and keep nudging for new tools.

The MEP S efforts are necessary so that AC can compete with Revit. Many in the AC community may not care about this, but without it, AC would become software for those offices in the USA that do not work with others that often. Every engineer we have worked with now uses Revit and, before that, AutoCAD so in our arena, it is a must for model and data interchange.

Shook Kelley, CLT PLLC Charlotte, North Carolina
Mac Studio 2022 - Apple M1 Ultra
128 GB RAM Mac OS Sonoma 14.5
Dell U3818DW Display (3840x1600)
Where is my digital twin?

VectorWorks belong to the Nemetscheck Group. Wich owns Archicad. Both have their biggest shareholders as Blackrock or The Vanguard group. Can't remember wich now. 

If you are unhappiness with Archicad, sorry tonsay but vectorworks will just be a part of it in a few years. 

May I suggest ArchlineXP? It is really getting my attention as a small pratice architect, it still has perpetual licenses and they are focusing on all little things architects keep asking GS for while they disregard it and keeps investing on looking more like Autodesk.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!