2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

Opening in Roof

James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi All,

Openings can now be placed into single plane and multi-plane Roofs.

Along with this change, we have improved alignment feedback during input and introduced a new 2D display method that helps auto-determine aligned Openings based on their true elevation, rather than preferring to appear in the cut part of elements (as in previous versions).

For more information:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Technology-Preview/Openings-in-Roofs/ta-p/606484

James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly

@James B 

Except you can't place them in plan if the roof is above the Floor Plan Cutting Plane.

The Quick Selection (magnet) can not even select the roof.

Or am I missing something.

Please see ...

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Technology-Preview/Opening-in-roof-can-not-be-place-i...

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

HI Barry,

You are correct, just like selection, you can't click the overhead parts of elements, to give preference to uncut elements below. The same applies to opening placement, so if there is an overhead roof, and uncut slab overlapping, the opening can be placed more easily into the slab below.

We had prototyped to allow openings to be placed into overhead parts of roofs - which would make it harder to place an opening to any element below it. However, this prototype caused a number of other issues, which we couldn't solve - so we had to abandon that for now.

James.

James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager

Thanks James,

I thought there was a difference in the way roofs worked now as I couldn't get the quick select to even select the roof by the surface.

Turns out that in my files I have the roofs set to 'outline only' and that allows the quick selection to work.

In the default template I was testing the roofs are set to 'Projected with Overhead' and the quick select does not work if the roof is above the FPCP.

This solves the placement of opening problem as well.

Just shows how you get used to the default settings in your own files.

Another option if overhead is to select the roof and then place opening while holding the space bar.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!